CFHS code : CL160

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : side 1 In Loving Memory of SIDNEY JOHN MARTIN son of ARTHUR & AGNES MARTIN d Nov 7th 1913 aged 37 side 2 ARTHUR MARTIN d Nov 22 1892 aged 54 also LILY only daughter of the above d March 11 1893 aged 28 also of AGNES MARTIN widow of the above d May 17th 1923 aged 79

Monument : Headstone/Flowerholder (broken)

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202638,  0.138292 – click here for location

Headstone August 2018
Headstone – west face

Monument
Located towards the east of the cemetery north of the path that runs eastwards from the centre circle. CFHS identified this grave as being in the parish of St Andrew the Less.(AL369)

Inscription

east face
In Loving Memory of SIDNEY JOHN MARTIN
son of ARTHUR & AGNES MARTIN who died Nov 7th 1913. Aged 37 years

“Out of the world of toil and pain.
To our great lose but his great gain.
Into the land of rest and peace.
Where sorrows end and suffering cease.”

“Thy will be done”

west face
ARTHUR MARTIN d Nov 22 1892 aged 54
Also LILY only daughter of the above died March 11 1893 aged 28
Also of AGNES MARTIN widow of the above died May 17th 1923 aged 79

Sidney John Martin (1875 – 7 November 1913) 
Sidney was the son of Arthur and Agnes Martin. He was born and grew up at the Plume of Feathers, and never married. In 1911 he was living with his widowed mother and his occupation is noted as a shop assistant. He was living at 45 Park Street when he died aged 37 years old.

Arthur Martin (1838 – 22 November 1892)
Arthur was the son of Joseph (a tailor) and Eliza. He was brought up in Coronation Street (1841), Bentinck Street (1851) and then Trumpington Street (1871).  Arthur married Agnes Atkin on April 7th 1864.

Arthur and Agnes had at least four children:  Lily (1865-1893), Arthur Ranson (1867 – 1927), Sidney John (1875-1913), Harry Atkin (1878-1917) and two further children who died in infancy.

Initially the family lived at 1 Bentinck Street and Arthur worked as a carver, but by 1871 he was the landlord of the Plume of Feathers at 45 and 46 Park Street.

He died at Park Street in 1892 aged 54 years old. His probate documents record him as a publican and carver.

Lily Grounds (née Martin) (29 January 1865 – 11 March 1893)
Lily was born on January 29th 1865 but not baptised until April 7th 1881 at All Saints church. She married Henry Charles Grounds a bailiff at St Luke’s Church in Chesterton on 24th October 1892. She died less than 6 months later just after her 28th birthday.

Agnes Martin (née Atkin) (c.1845 – 17 May 1923)
Agnes was the daughter of John and Agnes Atkin. She was born in Huntingdon and her father was a tailor there (1851). By 1861 the family were living at 16 Sussex Street and John Atkin was an innkeeper there. She was living in Bridge Street when she married in 1864.

It seems that after Arthur’s death Agnes took over the licence of the pub. Agnes was living at 45 Park Street when she died aged 79 years old. She had outlived her husband, and five of her six children.

The Plume of Feathers (or the Feathers as it was often known) was demolished in 1953and the Park Street multi-storey car park was built on its site.

All the burial services for the above took place in St Clement’s church.

Source:

Ancestry

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Lily Grounds; Agnes Martin; Arthur Martin; Sidney John Martin