CFHS code : HT360
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : Fond Memory of FREDERICK TUDOR HALL beloved husband of JULIA HALL d Aug 28 1898 in his 43rd year
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Located in the parish area of Holy Trinity, to the north of the bend in the south path just as it turns north. There is a carving of a dove in the circle at the top of the headstone.
Fond Memory of FREDERICK TUDOR HALL
beloved husband of JULIA HALL died Aug 28 1898 in his 45 year
“Out out brief candle”
Frederick Tudor Hall (1856-1898)
Frederick was baptised in St Georges Church, Southwark, London in 1857.
He is most likely to be the son of William Tudor Hall, a blacksmith. He was known to have had at least two older brothers, Henry Tudor Hall (1842-1887) and William Tudor Hall (1853-1887). They were all in the entertainment business. William owned a circus.
Fred was known to work with Stoodley’s Circus and was often mentioned in newspaper reviews in the 1880s.
“Funny Fred Hall was in great force with his trained donkeys.” The Star Sat June 1883.
“He carries a mop, and says nothing else but “mop, mop” all night which somewhat affected the gallery. Fred became very funny later on when with a face full of unspeakable woe, he goes about pretending to assist everybody, and really doing nothing at all.” Glasgow Evening Post Mon 19 Nov 1888.
He married Julia Lucretia Butler at St Saviours Church, Southwark in 1881. When he died he was living at 13 Willow Walk, Cambridge.
For more information see https://footlightnotes.wordpress.com/tag/circus/page/3/
[If you have further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
British Newspaper Archive
FootlightNotes, a carte de visite photograph of Funny Fred Hall.
CFHS transcriptions of Parish Records
Edited by Mary Naylor