CFHS code : AG309
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Remembrance of MARY ANN HALL daughter of the late DANIEL & MARY ANN REDFARN b March 13th 1826 d Feb 6th 1910
Monument : Cruciform Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203082, 0.13658668 – click here for location
In Loving Remembrance of MARY ANN HALL
daughter of the late DANIEL & MARY ANN REDFARN
Born March 13th 1826 Died Feb. 6th 1910
“When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless O abide with me.”
Mary Ann Hall (née Redfarn) (13 March 1826 – 6 February 1910)
Mary was born in Cambridge and baptised at St Andrew the Great Church on 7 May 1826. Her parents were Daniel and Mary Ann (née Bell) Redfarn, and her father was a tailor/robemaker on Sidney Street. She married Richard Augustus Long Phillips (1828-1864) at St. Paul’s Church, Covent Garden on 22 February 1851. Richard was a graduate of Christ’s College Cambridge and the couple had two sons: Sir Edward Clive Oldnall Long (1853-1918) and William Redfarn Wollaston (1855-1942).
At first they lived in Buxton (1851) where Richard worked as a tutor, before moving to Wimborne Grammar School where he was an assistant Master from 1854-c.1862. He described himself on census returns as a classics tutor and political writer. In 1862 the family moved to Rotherham, where Richard was the Headmaster of the Moorgate Grammar School. He died in October 1863 aged 37 of an ‘apoplectic fit’. He had been talking to a friend when he complained of a sudden headache and fell unconscious before dying the following day.
Mary then married Alexander Hall (1842-1895) on 3 November 1866 at St Stephen’s Church, South Lambeth. The couple had three daughters: Lydia Beatrice (1867-1966), Mabel (1868-) and Caroline Amy (1871-1942). Alexander worked at King’s College School and was assistant master of writing and arithmetic (1866-1872) and then writing and second arithmetic master (1872-1895). The couple lived at Grove Terrace, Ilford (1871), The Oaks, Manor Park (1881) and then Woodcotes, Sutton Surrey (1891). Alexander died at King’s College Hospital in June 1895 aged 53 years old, leaving Mary a widow for a second time.
In 1901 she was living with her children William and Caroline at 55 St. Ann’s Hill in Wandsworth. On the census she was described as living on her own means. She died in Cambridge aged 83 years old.
Mary’s son Edward became a British-Canadian government official, author and big game hunter. He made a claim to his great-grandfather’s estate in 1877, and as a result changed his name to Sir Clive Phillipps-Wolley.
A Cambridge Alumni Database
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]