CFHS code : CL102
Parish : St Clement
Inscription : In Loving Memory of AGNES beloved wife of ARTHUR HARDING d Nov 22 1938 aged 74 and ARTHUR HARDING 28 Dec 1946 aged 80
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202535, 0.13849222 – click here for location
Agnes Harding (née Gilby) ( 1864 – 22 November 1938)
Agnes was the eldest daughter of William and Elizabeth (née Unwin) and grew up at 36 Norfolk Terrace. William Gilby worked as a grocer’s porter. In 1881 Agnes was living at 1 Eastbourne Terrace, Hills Road and working as a general servant for Mary and Ann Custance. She married Arthur Harding on Christmas Day 1890 at the Primitive Methodist Tabernacle and they had four children: Claude Arthur Gilby (1891-1980), Private Conrad Neville (1894-1918), Winifred Annie (Winnie) (1896-1975) and Gladys Effie (1905-1998). The family lived at Argyle Street and then 150 Gwydir Street (at least 1911 onwards) and Arthur worked as a letter carrier/postman. Both Arthur and Agnes were committed members of the Temperance movement and their children were members of the Band of Hope, which taught children the importance of sobriety. Agnes died at home aged 78 years old.
Arthur Harding (22 May 1866 – 28 December 1946)
Arthur was born in Swaffham Bulbeck and was the son of George and Ann Maria Harding. His family moved to Cambridge to live at Parkers Terrace, East Road and George Harding worked as a coal porter. After he was widowed Arthur lived with daughter Winnie and her family in Letchworth (1939) and died there in December 1946.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]