CFHS code : PL547
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH LYDIA HARDING d Apr 28 1924 age 75 also her husband GEORGE HARDING d May 16 1931 age 84
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202283, 0.13603612 – click here for location
These kerb stones, in the parish area of St Paul, are located by the western path, behind the Lodge.
In Loving Memory of ELIZABETH LYDIA HARDING who passed away April 28th 1924 age 75 years
Also her husband GEORGE HARDING who passed away May 16th 1931 age 84 years
George Harding (1847-1931)
George was baptised in the church of Mary the Less in 1847 the third child of George, a waterman, and Phoebe Harding. The family had come from Burwell just before George was born and lived in Coe Fen until moving to Castle Lane by 1851. George was brought up here. By 1861 they were living in Shelly Row and remained in this area until the death of George’s parents and younger sister.
Phoebe became an upholsters after she was widowed..
George married Elizabeth Lydia Clark (1848-1924) on 23 August 1870 at St Paul’s, Cambridge. They had ten children including: George James (1871-1947); Ernest (1873-?); Florence Kate (1874), Elizabeth Harriet (1875-?); Arthur William (1878-?); Frederick John (1881-1881); Florence Kate (1882-?); Ethel May (1883-?); Charles Edward (1886-?); and Kate Emily (1889-1968). The family lived at 22 Russell Street, Cambridge. George was a College servant. By 1891 the family had moved to 18 Russell Street and George was working as a painter. His wife was working as a Bedmaker for a College. Their two eldest children were also employed as a Post Office Portering Clerk (George), and a General Labourer (Ernest). By 1901 the family had moved to 36 Bateman Street, Cambridge. George died on 16 May 1931 in Cambridge.
Elizabeth Lydia Harding (née Clark) (1848-1924)
Elizabeth was born in 1848 in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. She was one of at least nine children born to James Lucas Clark (abt 1822-1884) and Mary Ann Clark (née Bavey) (abt 1820-1897). Her father was a painter and glazier. The family lived at 10 Doric Street, Cambridge. In 1861, aged 14, she was lodging in Boxmore, Hemel Hempstead and working as a pupil teacher.
Elizabeth married George Harding (1847-1931) on 23 August 1870 at St Paul’s, Cambridge. Elizabeth died on 28 April 1924 in Cambridge.
Elizabeth’s older brother, James William Clark (1846-1916), and his family were also buried in this cemetery.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915 and 1916-2005
England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915 and 1916-2005
England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915 and 1916-2005
England census records
By Emma Easterbrook