CFHS code : AL376a
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Memory of JOSEPH RICHARD HART HARRIOT his widow
Monument : Stone cross (broken)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Cross on a triple plinth located beside the eastern path on its west side in the parish area of St Andrew the Less. The monument was restored in December 2016.
In Memory of JOSEPH RICHARD HART
HARRIOT his widow
Joseph Richard Hart (1813 – 3 March 1884)
Joseph was the son of James and Mary Ann (née Redfarne) Hart, and was baptised in Bottisham on 13 June 1813. He married Harriot in Grantchester on 14 February 1839. The couple settled at 6 Sidney Street (1841) where Joseph worked as a bookbinder. However in April 1849 he was declared bankrupt and went through the insolvency courts until discharged.
Joseph and Harriot had at least two children: Harriett Ann (1843-) and Edward James (1844-1921). They lived at Park Street briefly (1852) before moving to 23 Brandon Place (at least 1865 onwards) and he continued to work as a bookbinder. Joseph died at home aged 70 after ‘a long illness’ and was buried on March 8th 1884.
Harriot Hart (née Moore) (1817 – 1891)
Harriot was born in Grantchester and baptised there on 31 August 1817. She was the daughter of Daniel and Susan Moore and married Joseph Hart when she was c.21 years old. She died aged 73 years old, and was living on Hills Road when she died. She was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on April 9th 1891.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]