CFHS code : MG141
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : WESTON JAMES HATFIELD b April 21 1830 d Nov 14 1871
Monument : Coped stone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202143, 0.13829778 – click here for location
As the monument is covered in ivy we have been unable to check the inscription. It is close to the east path.
Weston James Hatfield (1830-1871)
Weston James was born in Brunswick Terrace, Cambridge to Weston (1792 – 1837) and Harriet (née Dawes) Hatfield. He was baptised on June 25th in the parish of St Andrew the Less.
Weston senior was proprietor of a family owned newspaper that had been founded by his mother, Elizabeth Carter Hatfield in 1813. He took over the running of the paper in 1818 and moved from Huntingdon to Cambridge. eventually the paper became the Cambridge Independent Press. A Liberal paper that competed with the Tory paper ‘The Cambridge Chronicle’ which was run by Charles Edward Brown(1840’s) and Charles Wharton Naylor. (1860’s)
Weston died in 1837 when Weston James was only 6 years old. He is buried in All Saint’s Churchyard Huntingdon with his daughter Harriet Emma, who died only a few months after him. Various members of the Hatfield family kept the paper going until Weston James was able to take over and expand the newspaper.
In 1851 Weston James was living with his widowed mother and younger brother, Charles William, in New Square, Cambridge.
Weston James married Annie Stanyon Hodson on 26th February 1866. Annie was the 2nd daughter of Edward Hodson of Poole, Dorset. She was born in Thanet.
In 1871 Weston James and Annie (listed as Ann Stanyon) were living at 2 Poplar Villas, Station Road with their 3 year old daughter Annie, 11 year old niece Margaret Mager and one servant, Jane Hills. Weston James died in November that year.
Anne remarried in 1876 to Matthew Robertson.
Anne and Matthew are buried in the parish of St Paul’s.
Researched by Mary Naylor
British Newspaper Archives
Cambridge Independent Press
- Obituary April 25 1891
- Funeral report May 2nd 1891
Find My Past
CFHS transcripts of Parish and Census records
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]