CFHS code : MG188
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of WILLIAM HANCHETT HATTERSLEY b Aug 10 1821 d Feb 17 1902 also of THOS HANCHETT HATTERSLEY b Sep 17 1855 d April 22 1893 also of GILBERT WOLLARD HATTERSLEY b May 17 1854 d Jan 14 1916 also wife of the above HERMINE ROEPER HATTERSLEY b Dec 31 1861 d May 2 1950
Monument : Headstones/Kerb stones/Flowerholder (double grave)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202045, 0.13824917 – click here for location
This striking red granite headstone, is located to the east of the east path, in the parish area of St Mary the Great.
‘In Loving Memory of WILLIAM HANCHETT HATTERSLEY
Born Aug. 10. 1821. Died Feb. 17. 1902.’
“Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God”
‘Also of THOS HANCHETT HATTERSLEY Born Sep. 17. 1855. Died April 22. 1893.’
“Not my will but Thy will be done.”
‘Also of GILBERT WOLLARD HATTERSLEY Born May 17. 1854. Died Jan. 14. 1916’
‘Also wife of the above HERMINE ROEPER HATTERSLEY Born Dec. 31. 1861. Died May 2. 1950.’
Relationship: William Hanchett was uncle to Thomas and Gilbert, Gilbert’s wife. William’s brother died in 1860 and his children were cared for by William.
William Hanchett Hattersley (c*1821-1902)
William was born in Ely, the second son of Thomas and Mary Ann (née Wollard) Hattersley. Grandson of Robert Hattersley and Elizabeth (née Hanchett). He was a grocer, china and glass dealer at 5 and 6 Trinity Street, Cambridge.
His parents died when he was young and aged 14 he was brought to Cambridge by his maternal aunts Mary and Ann Wollard to join the family business. The aunts had been left a well established grocery store at in Trinity Street, next to St Michaels Church, which William eventually took over, adding china, glass and fine wines to the goods on offer.
When the Trinity Street shop was being rebuilt in 1850 a medieval earthenware jug was discovered in the excavations. William Hattersley immediately saw the potential for marketing copies of the jug to undergraduates and tourists and approached his friend J Wedgwood about producing such a jug. Wedgwood obliged and the Cambridge Ale jug was born. It was made in 9 different sizes and was exhibited on the Wedgwood stand at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
The original was given to the Museum of Archaeology and a row broke out in 1888 when the then master decided that the jug rightfully belonged to Trinity and demanded its return. When this Master eventually died the jug was quietly returned to the museum.
In 1851 William was employing five people at the shop and living there with his cousin Ann and her husband – William & Ann Edwards MG16
In 1877 he moved to Camden House, overlooking Parker’s Piece, with his housekeeper, Ann Edwards now a widow. It is Ann who was thought to have discouraged him from marrying.
He was a member of the Philo Union (a Cambridge literary society) along with his friend & neighbour *Alexander Macmillan. His interest in education led him to raise a large sum of money for the Cambridge School of Art. He was also a member of the Free Library Committee and being particularly fond of Shakespeare he could quote many passages by heart. Other committees for which he worked with were Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Hunstanton Convalescent Home.
He was remembered for his kindness and generosity in the obituary that appeared in the Cambridge Independent Press on 20th February 1902.
Thomas Hanchett Hattersley (1855-1893)
Thomas was born 17th September 1855 in Rugeley Staffordshire, the eighth child of Gilbert Wollard and Ann (née Oliver) Hattersley. He was baptised in Rugeley on October 10th 1855. He was the nephew of William H Hattersley. His secondary education was at Great Torrington in Devon. He was recorded as a Corporal in the 9th Lancaster Regiment. No record of a marriage has been found. He died in Cambridge on April 22nd 1893 at 6 Bateman Street, the house of his brother William Oliver Hattersley.
Gilbert Woolard Hattersley (1854-1916)
Gilbert was born on May 17th 1854 in Rugeley, Staffordshire, the seventh child of Gilbert Wollard and Ann Hattersley. He was baptised at Rugeley on June 14th 1854. He continued the family business of Hattersley Brothers at 5 and 6 Trinity Street with his older brother William Oliver Hattersley. There is a plaque in St Andrew’s Chapel at St Mary the Great which reads, ‘This chapel was restored and dedicated for the worship of God 15th December 1892. W Cunningham – Vicar, GW Hattersley – G O Palmer- church wardens.’
He was also responsible for the window dedicated to his uncle William who he emulated by his caring nature. As well as being a church warden he was a local councillor, a member of the antiquarian society and in his youth a keen rower. During a hard winter he organised for a pump to flood Midsummer Common so that the people of the town could skate. He was a member of the ^Camden Cricket Club, the oldest in Cambridge.
Gilbert died on January 14th 1916 at Camden House, Parkers Piece. A well known figure in Cambridge, his obituary was reported, at great length in the Cambridge Independent Press on January 21st 1916.
He married Thorhaur Hermine Roeper in Cambridge on April 14th 1884 at Great St Mary’s Church, Cambridge. They had two sons: Gilbert Roeper Hattersley (1885-1955) and Harold Woollard Hattersley (1886-1968).
In 1893 one of the shop employees George Frederick Nobbs killed himself actually sitting at his desk. This must have been a terrible experience for all concerned. Gilbert gave evidence at the inquest at which he stated he had aged George to check some figures about 5 pm and had returned to the office shortly after and was told George was unconscious. A few months before he had noticed that George seemed a bit “absent minded” and had offered support. George had not disclosed any problems.
By 1916 the need for trade had declined as many students were now serving in the forces. The shop ceased trading after Gilbert’s death. His son Gilbert Roeper had been a partner in the firm but went off to fight in France and found himself unemployed on demobilisation.
Hermine Augusta Charlotte Frederike Roeper Hattersley (1861-1950)
Hermine was believed to have been born in 1861 in Brunswick, northern Germany the daughter of Hermann H. F. L. Thorhauer and Juliana F. Himmel. Her mother died when she was only 7 years old and a year later her father remarried. Hermine was unhappy in this new household so came to live with her uncle Karl Heinrich (Charles Henry) Roeper and his wife Caroline above their tailor’s shop at 2 Trinity Street.
During World War 2 she became very sensitive about her German heritage and destroyed all her family photographs and documents.
She died on May 2nd 1950 at 20 Lensfield Road, Cambridge.
British newspaper Archive
^Camden Cricket Club This link will take you to a new website
by Mary Naylor and Caroline Wilson, using information supplied by a descendant, Jon Burnell.
[If you have any further information about these people, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]