CFHS code : HT410
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : IARO STEPHEN HAYDEN d 21st April 1893 aged 84
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones (part missing)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Stephen Hayden (1808 – 21 April 1893)
Stephen was born in Henham, Essex and baptised there on 11 November 1808. He was the son of William and Mary and moved to Cambridge in 1839. He ran a draper’s shop at 17 Sidney Street in partnership with his brother William. The partnership was dissolved in December 1859 and he then ran the business as sole owner. By 1881 he was employing three people in the business. Stephen also served as an overseer for Holy Trinity Church for many years.
In April 1886 Edward Harris and James Eades were charged with stealing fifty years of cretonne and thirteen umbrellas from his shop. The two men pleaded guilty and had only been released from prison that morning. Edward was sentenced to six months imprisonment and James to three months.
Stephen went into partnership with Alfred Stephen Bradford c.1886. He was ill for the last year of his life and died at home aged 84 years old. His obituary in the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal noted ‘Mr Hayden was of retiring habits and was therefore little known outside the circle of his immediate friends, but endeared himself to many by his quiet acts of charity. For many years he was a member of the Philo Union. Mr Hayden was never married’. The Cambridge Independent Press reported the funeral on 25 April under the headline of ‘Death of an Old Tradesman’ and noted ‘his quiet unassuming character and unostentatious generosity won him the esteem and respect of all with whom he came into contact’.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]