CFHS code : PL174

Parish : St Paul

Inscription : In Loving Memory of ARTHUR VINCENT HAYHOE d August 28 1898 aged 7 also ARTHUR PARKER d Sept 10 [193-] aged 72 also CLARA HAYHOE d Dec 7 1948 age 78

Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

Inscription

Arthur Parker Hayhoe (c.1862 – 12 September 1934)

Arthur was the son of Henry Parker and Emily Hayhoe.  He was born in Ballington in Essex.  In 1881 he was living in Stowmarket with his 10 siblings [he was the ninth of Henry and Emily’s children]. Henry Hayhoe was a chemical manufacturer.  In 1883 Arthur was working as a labourer on the railway.

In 1887 married Clara Pawsey Stiff in Bury St Edmunds.  They had five children: Charles Frederick [1889-1956], Florence [1889-1973], Arthur Vincent [1891-1898], Mabel [1893] and another child who died in infancy.  In 1891 Arthur was running the Beehive Pub at 7 Honey Hill in Cambridge – the census records him as a publican and house decorator.  By 1901 the family were living at 101 Hills Road and Arthur was a decorator employing others in his business.

Whilst the business appears to have been run from 101 Hills Road, Arthur and Clara lived at 7 Station Road.  He died there in 1934 aged 72 years old.  He left an estate valued at £317, 1s 6d.

Clara Pawsey Hayhoe [nee Stiff] (21 April 1869 – 7 December 1948)

Clara was born in Bury St Edmunds.  She was the daughter of Walter and Anna Stiff. Walter was a gas stoker and in 1881 when Clara was 12 the family were living at 4 Union Place in Leeds.  She married  Arthur Hayhoe when she was 18 years old. After being widowed she lived at 77 Mill Road [1939]. She died aged 79 years old in 1948.

Arthur Vincent Hayhoe (c.1891 – 28 August 1898)

Arthur was the third child born to Arthur and Clara Hayhoe.  He died aged 7 years old in tragic circumstances, as newspaper reports at the time reported:

ANOTHER BURNING FATALITY.

A Cambridge Child Plays with Fire. At Addenbrooke’a Hospital on Wednesday afternoon Mr. H. S. French (Borough Coroner), held inquest respecting the death of Arthur Vincent Hayhoe, aged 7 years, son of Arthur Parker Hayhoe, house decorator, of 101, Hills road, Cambridge, whose death occurred from severe burns sustained at his home on Sunday morning. The father of the child, Arthur Parker Hayhoe, deposed that about 11-30 on Sunday morning he was sitting upstairs, reading, when he heard his child scream, Oh. mother.” Witness rushed downstairs, and his wife ran into the garden to find the boy. Witness saw the child enveloped in flames in the kitchen. He got fable cloth and wrapped it round the boy, but that was not strong enough to extinguish the flames, and so witness had to roll his son on the coconut matting. Witness then got the boy’s clothes oft’ as quickly as possible, and took the sufferer to the Hospital in cab. Witness had seen his son five minutes before he heard his cries. lie then had an apple in one hand and a biscuit in the other, and was going into the garden. There was flight of stairs between the garden and the room where he found the deceased. There was only small fire in the grate, in fact, it had only just been made up, and one could scarcely  see a flame. The boy had no matches.

The Coroner : Can you give the jury any idea as to how the accident happened ! Witness said that when he returned from the Hospital he found a long strip of paper, which had been trimmed from newspaper, about half burnt, in the fender. The boy was about yard from the fender when he saw him, and he was then trying to knock out the flames of his burning clothes. He was only wearing a pair of knicker-bockers, a flannellete shirt and pinafore. On the way to the hospital his son did not say anything to how the accident happened ; he merely showed that he was in pain. Witness’s wife had asked him how it happened, and he said something about fire, but she could not make out what he said. He had been addicted to playing with fire, and witness had cautioned him numerous times. He thought that the flames had a good hold of the deceased’s clothing before he called out. His son must have gone into the front kitchen to get the paper, and had returned to the fire in the back kitchen. The Foreman : Not long ago witness’s brother found deceased with some matches, and he was then going make bonfire. Mr. J. B. Byles, house surgeon, stated that deceased was admitted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital on Sunday morning. He was suffering from severe burns and very considerable shock. There was marked improvement after admission and he died at 10.15 on Monday night. Witness had made a post mortem examination. There were extensive and severe burns of the head, the trunk, and the arras, the injury being chiefly on the front of the body. The internal organs were healthy, and the cause of death was shock, the result of the burns. the Foreman : The deceased was barely conscious at any time, and could make no statement. The Jury returned a verdict of ‘‘Accidental Death.”

Source:
Ancestry
Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

Arthur Vincent Hayhoe; Clara Hayhoe; Arthur Parker