CFHS code : PL512
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of HENRY HIGGS the beloved husband of MARY EMMA HIGGS d March 21st 1896 aged 72 also of MARY EMMA HIGGS d May 26th 1906 aged 75
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone, in the parish area of St Paul is located 6 rows east of the west path. It stands oppsite the listed monument of James Rattee which is on the west of the path.
‘In Loving Memory of HENRY HIGGS
the beloved husband of MARY EMMA HIGGS
who departed this March 21st 1896 aged 72 years
Also of MARY EMMA HIGGS died May 26th 1906 aged 75 years’
Henry Higgs (1824 – 21 March 1896)
Henry was born in Wedmore, just west of Wells in Somerset and baptised there on 7 February 1824. He was the son of labourer James Higgs and Priscilla (née Hasitshot). Henry worked as servant in Wedmore (1841) before moving to live in St. Pancras where he worked as train driver (1851). He maried Mary Harvey on 13 April 1859 at St. Luke’s Church, West Norwood. The couple lived in London where he continued to work as a train driver (1861) but by 1871 had moved to live in Huntingdon where they ran The Spread Eagle pub. Henry and Mary were living at the Earl of Derby pub on Hills Road in 1891. He is known to have also run the Robin Hood and the Cow and Hare in St Ives. Henry died at the Cobden Arms in Peterborough and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery.
Mary Emma Higgs (née Harvey) (1831 – 26 May 1906)
Mary was born in Cheshunt and was the daughter of Thomas Harvey. In September 1892 whilst at the Cow and Hare, she charged fishmonger Edward Collinson with using bad language in the public street. Edward Collinson counter accused Mary with throwing water over him. Edward was fined 20s, with costs of 16s and 6d. Mary Higgs was fined 20s, with costs of 13s and 6d.
After she was widowed she went to live at 14 Hope Street with retired publican Henry Steel and his wife Ann. Ann Steel fell and died in April 1900 and Mary appeared as a witness in the subsequent inquest. Shethen lived at 25 Cavendish Road until at least 1906, and died soon after moving to 20 Stockwell Street.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]