CFHS code : MG135
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of GEORGE JAMES HILL MA d 18 Mar 1923 aged 66 also his wife EMMA ELEANOR HILL d Nov 6 1946 aged 89
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202154, 0.13821048 – click here for location
The Hill monument, in the parish area of St Mary the Great, is located on row to the west of the east path. It was damaged in 2020 and is now hidden by vegetation.
In Loving Memory of GEORGE JAMES HILL MA died 18 Mar 1923 aged 66
“He giveth his beloved sleep.”
Also his wife EMMA ELEANOR HILL died Nov 6 1946 aged 89
George James Hill (1857 – 18 March 1923)
George was born in Shoreditch and in 1891 was lodging in Liverpool and working as a school science lecturer. Is is possible that he attended Cambridge University but no evidence has been found to verify this. George married Emma Rhodes in 1897 in Reading, Berkshire. In 1901 the couple were living in Reading and George was working as ‘organising secretary’ to the Board of the County Council. They later moved to live at 6 Pemberton Terrace (1911) and he worked as a private tutor at the University. He died at Pemberton Terrace aged 66 years old.
Emma Eleanor Hill (née Rhodes) (15 May 1857 – 6 November 1946)
Emma was born in Reading and was the daughter of chemist/druggist William Rhodes (1814-1865) and Sarah Jane Nanton (née Waddington) (1819-1872). She went to boarding school in Winchester (1871), and was an orphan by the age of 15. She married George Hill when she was 40 years old and after being widowed moved to live in Folkstone. Her younger sister Sarah (1860-1929) lived in Folkestone, which is probably what drew her there. She lived at 8 & 9 Langholme Gardens (1939) and then 16 Millfield where she died aged 89 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]