CFHS code : PL342
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARIANNE the beloved wife of FREDERICK HOLDICH d June 16 1899 aged 54
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Marianne Holdich (née Debron) (1844 – 16 June 1899)
Marianne was the daughter of Robert and Jane (née Allman) and grew up in Ely where her father was a seedsman/nurseryman. She was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Ely on 23 December 1844 and married Samuel William Mason (1841-1870) at St. Mary’s on 29 March 1869. Samuel was stationmaster of Lea Bridge in Essex and died in February 1870 of rheumatic fever less than a year into the marriage.
Marrianne then married Frederick Holdich in 1872 and they had five children: Ada Mary (1873-), Florence (1875-1957), Lilian (1877-1969), Percy Debron (1878-1943) and Louise Harriet (1884-1886). Frederick Holdich was also a stationmaster and they lived at East Avenue in Walthamstow (1881/1891) where he was station master of Roe Street station for 13 years. In June 1894 he was appointed station master of Cambridge station and the family moved to live at 124 Mill Road. Marianne died at home aged 54 years old. Newspapers reported that she died ‘after a lengthy illness’ and had been confied to her house since October 1898.
Frederick Holdich lived at 124 Mill Road until at least 1911, and then moved to live at Rock Road. He died in Southend on Sea in October 1930 and was buried there.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]