CFHS code : AS76
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of FREDERICK CHARLES HOPKINS d May 15 1944 age 73 also his wife MAUD d Feb 7 1955 age 73
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203506, 0.13700217 – click here for location
This headstone, with kerb stones, is located to the north of the north path, in the parish area of All Saints.
‘In Loving Memory of FREDERICK CHARLES HOPKINS
died May 15, 1944, age 73 years.
Also his wife MAUD died Feb 7, 1955, age 73 years.’
Frederick Charles Hopkins (4 February 1872 – 15 May 1944)
Frederick (or Fred as he seems to have been known as) was born in Sutton, near Ely. He was baptised in Sutton on 31st March 1872. He was the son of Henry and Jane Hopkins and grew up at the Black Horse Pub in Sutton where his father was a publican and also shepherd. Aged 19 Fred was lodging with the railway gatehouse keeper at Wood Ditton near Cambridge and working as a railway porter.
He married Maud Mabel Johnson in 1900 when he was 28 years old and they had three children together: Louisa Radford Johnson (1900-), Daisy Alexandra Maud (1902-1975) and Frederick Charles (1908-1973). Immediately after marriage the family were living at 27 King Street (1901) where Fred was a fishmonger. In 1911 they were living at 163 East Road, and Fred’s occupation is described as ‘fish merchant’. Daughter Daisy was born in Monmouthshire in 1902, but son Frederick was born in Cambridge in 1908. Maybe between 1901 and 1908 the family spent some time in South Wales.
In 1939 Fred and Maud were living at 56 Jesus Lane with two medical student lodgers. Fred’s occupation is as a fish merchant. He died aged 72 years old in May 1944 at 7 Manor Street. He left an estate valued at £2,711 17s 2d.
Maud Mabel Hopkins (nee Johnson) (19 October 1882 – 7 February 1955)
Maud was born in Norwich, and married Fred Hopkins when she was 17 years old. She was widowed aged 61 years old. She continued to live at 7 Manor Street after Fred died, and died in 1955 at the Hope Nursing Home on Brooklands Avenue.
by Claire Martinsen