Parish Andrew the Less
Monument – none found
We have no grave register for this parish but the parish register records show both father & son are buried in this parish. We have assumed they may have been buried in the same plot.
Relationship Father & Son
CHARLES JOSEPH HOSKISON (1848 – 1894)
Charles Joseph Hoskison was born in January 1848 at Atherstone, Warwickshire, the son of Ann and Joseph Hoskison, a ‘tile and tough-pipe maker’. Previous Hoskison generations had been resident for many years at Tamworth, Staffordshire.
The family moved to Plympton St Mary, Devon, in 1851. They had returned to Atherstone by the 1861 Census, with Joseph Hoskison now a ‘brick and tile maker’ and son Charles, now aged 13, employed as a bricklayer and labourer.
The 1871 Census found Charles lodging with Lydia and Frederick Kirkby (‘a plaiter of straw’) at Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. Charles and another lodger, William Powell, were described as ‘decorative artists’, so were probably in training or an apprenticeship. William had been born in Cambridge so may have told Charles about employment at F.R. Leach & Sons.
In November 1872 Charles married Mary Jane Studley (born 1852) at Malton in Yorkshire. The couple went on to have six children – Richard (born and died 1873), Lillian (born 1875), Alfred Thomas (born 1876), Charles Joseph (born 1878), Ann (born 1881) and William Henry (born 1882).
After the death of their first child the couple moved to Cambridge, living at 14 Fair Street. Charles began an apprenticeship with Cambridge firm F.R. Leach & Sons, Decorative Artists based at City Road. Charles lived an unsettled life, with various records giving his address as City Road, Cambridge, Derbyshire, and then 124 Gwydir Street. His family are recorded on the 1881 Census at 124 Gwydir Street but Charles is missing, probably away working for a long period.
Charles was a contemporary of David Parr, the decorative artist who filled his home at 186 Gwydir Street with examples of his professional work, now conserved and accessible to visitors as the David Parr House. Charles is pictured on an 1882 photograph of the F.R. Leach & Sons Works Outing at the David Parr House, alongside both David Parr and Frederick Leach.
Charles moved round Cambridge yet again, living at a dwelling house at 5 Cockburn Street in 1887 and at 20A James Street in 1890.
He was buried on 15th February 1894 aged 46.
CHARLES JOSEPH HOSKISON (1878 – 1899)
Charles Joseph Hoskison was born in Derbyshire on 22nd July 1878, the son of Charles Joseph Hoskison (1848 – 1894) and Mary Jane Hoskison (nee Studley) (1852 – unknown). Charles and Mary moved from their home at Malton, Yorkshire, in 1874 and settled at 14 Fair Street, Cambridge, where Charles was employed with the firm of F.R. Leach & Sons (Decorative Artists) at City Road.
After their son Charles was born in 1878 in Derbyshire the family moved to 124 Gwydir Street along with their other children Lilian (born 1874), Alfred (born 1876), Ann (born 1880) and William (born 1882).
Charles’s occupation is unknown. He did not marry. He lived at 95, Gwydir Street and died there suddenly on 26th April 1899 of an unknown cause at the age of 20.
Charles died April 26th at 95 Gwydir St and was buried on May 1st 1899 aged 20.
Contributed by Suzanne Ridley
CFHS parish records
British newspaper archive