CFHS code : AL261a
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : In Remembrance of EMMA LOUISA HOWES aged 46
Monument : Headstone (fallen)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Emma Louisa Howes (née Hankin) (c.1842 – 17 January 1889)
Emma was born in Baldock, Hertfordshire and baptised there on 11 January 1843. She was the daughter of school master Edward Hankin and Mary (née Baldock). Aged 18 she was living at Park Street, Baldock with her parents and brother Charles, and was working as a dressmaker. She married Samuel Howes (1847-1926) on 25 June 1868 in Baldock and they had at least three children: Miriam Louisa (1872-1953), Eleanor Mary (1874-) and Emily Jane (1876-1954). Samuel Howes was a commercial traveller employed by Messrs. Foster, corn agents and the family lived at Orchard Road, Baldock (1871), South Lynn, King’s Lynn (1881) and 8 Emery Street, Mill Road.
Emma was found dead at home and an inquest was held the following day. Samuel said he had left her at seven thirty in the morning and ‘she was in her usual health; complaining of a headache and wanting to be quiet, which was usual with her in the early morning’. Her daughter Miriam had taken her mother breakfast and Emma was still complaining of a headache. Miriam went up to the bedroom several times and found her ‘lying on the hearthrug with her head under the bed’ around nine o’clock. A doctor was called and he put the cause of death as a ‘rupture of a blood vessel on the brain’. The jury returned a verdict of death by natural causes and her funeral was held on 21 January 1889.
Samuel Howes married for a second time in 1890 to Sarah Ann Cork (1849-1950). He had a further three children with his second wife and in 1911 the family were living at 34 Barnabas Road. He died in London in August 1926.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]