CFHS code : PL113
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of first name illegible JACKSON d 7 Mar 1916 aged 72 also of EMMA his wife d Oct 1927 aged 82
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
These kerbstones are located against the south wall 4 rows from the entrance to the cemetery. and opposite the lodge.
In Loving Memory of first name GEORGE JACKSON died 7 Mar 1916 aged 72
Also of EMMA his wife died Oct 1927 aged 82
George Newell Jackson (c 1844 – 1916)
George was born in Westminster, London. He was the son of fencing master George and his wife Ann. In 1861 he was living with his family at 37 Grafton St. At this time he was assisting his father and later he also became a fencing master. Later he added Gymnastics instruction to his list of skills. He married Emma Norris at St Martin in the Field, London, in 1865. They had at least six children; Edward G (1867), Annie B (1868), Ada A (1870), Frederick J (1874), Charles A (1876) and Edith (1879). In 1871 George and Emma were living at 19 Norfolk Terrace, Cambridge. In 1891 they were living at 33 Union Terrace, Cambridge (now Mawson Road).
George and Emma were living at 32 Emery Street, Cambridge when they died.
Emma Elizabeth Jackson née Norris (1846 – 1927)
Emma was born at 16 Clement Place, Cambridge, the daughter of Thomas and Emma Norris. She had two sisters, Harriet Beer (1847-1848) and Sarah Ann (1848). Her father was a whitesmith. He died in Caxton in 1849. In 1851 Emma Elizabeth was with her 23 year old mother and baby sister Sarah at 10 Thompson’s Lane, Cambridge. They were living with her maternal grandmother, a laundress. Emma snr was presumably helping in the laundry. In December 1855 her mother died. The death was announced in the local papers. By 1861 Emma, now 15, was helping her grandmother in a laundry at 14 Covent Garden, Cambridge. Her sister Sarah was at school.
by Mary Naylor
CHFHS transcriptions of parish records
British newspaper archive
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]