James Hicks seems to have been involved in the running of his family firm of builders from at least 1874 to his death in 1892.

Hicks the builders was located at 47-52 City Road (near what is now the Grafton Centre). The firm goes back to at least 1867, when it was named E & J Hicks, and later Alfred Hicks.

During the 1880s, the Hicks company built a terrace of five houses in Covent Garden, now numbered 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, which in 1887 became tied houses for the Cambridge Borough Police Force. The houses were officially known as the ‘Hicks houses’, and were occupied exclusively by policemen (one of whom was Moses Free, who lived at No 50) until 1931.

James Hicks owned the houses and leased them to the police force.

By 1901, The Rev Arthur Searle Hicks (of Astley Bridge Vicarage, Bolton, Lancs) owned Nos 42, 44 and 46, while E S Hicks owned Nos 48 and 50. He cannot have been the Edmund Searle Hicks on this monument, because the latter lived only just beyond his first birthday, one of many infant deaths in Mill Road Cemetery. ‘Searle’ was probably the unmarried name of one of the Hicks’ wives, which came to be used as a second name for the children.

Hicks grave
Hicks grave

 

 

Lat Lon : n/a

Parish : St Andrew the Less

See family grave page for more information

 

 

 

 

 

By Ian Bent

James Hicks