CFHS code : HT89
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : kerbs In Loving Memory of LOUISA wife of JAMES HOLLIMAN d July 20th 1931 aged 69 also of JAMES HOLLIMAN d August 2nd 1932 aged 73 flower holder Mother and Dad
Monument : Kerb stones/Flowerholder
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon: n/a
A grave of pink granite, its four cornerstones carved with ball finials, and a central urn-shaped flowerholder. The inscription is written on three inner sides of the grave.
‘In loving memory of Louisa,
wife of James Holliman, called home
July 20th 1931 aged 69 years
Also of James Holliman called home
August 2nd 1932 aged 73.’
On the flowerholder:
‘Mother and Dad’
James Holliman (1859-1932)
James was born on 24 March 1859 in Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire. According to the 1871 census he worked as an agricultural labourer there, though by 1885 had moved to Chelsea, London, where he was described as a general dealer and where he probably met his future wife.
Louisa Pettifer Holliman nee Atkins (1862-1931)
Louisa was born in 1862 in Towcester, Northamptonshire. In 1871 she was living with her coachman father, Thomas, at the coach house in Babraham, near Cambridge. By 1881 the family had moved to London where her father worked as a coachman in Kensington, London, close to James. It was presumably here that James and Louisa met and they married in Chelsea on Christmas Eve 1885.
After their marriage James and Louisa moved to Cambridge where James worked in various retail trades: in 1891, he was a fishmonger; in 1901, a greengrocer. By 1911, he was a ‘hawker’ of 22 Burleigh Street, Cambridge, while Louisa was running ‘an office for hiring of servants’ from the same address. Both she and James were founder members of the Cambridge Corps of the Salvation Army. A warm-hearted matriarch who ‘got things done’, Louisa also ran the Salvation Army’s Young People’s Corps, and was always on hand to give help and advice.
Family members say James started the business by taking furniture round on a cart from house to house, and by 1916 ‘J Holliman & Sons, house furnishers and removal contractors’ had moved to a large permanent base at 260 Mill Road. As vans, they often used converted ambulances – in one 1928 photo, James’s son George is standing in front of two of Holliman’s furniture vans, outside the Mill Road shop. The business later moved to premises on the opposite side of Mill Road.
In 1931, Louisa Holliman died at her home in 207 Mill Road after a ‘long illness patiently borne’. Her funeral at the Salvation Army Citadel was extremely lively, with Salvationists singing ‘Abide with Me’ and ‘Lead, Kindly Light’, before the cortège moved to Mill Road Cemetery.
James died the following year and was buried in the same tomb as his wife. His sons carried on and expanded the business, which moved to 71 King Street, with a warehouse in Soham High Street. The company was liquidated in 1970 when King Street was redeveloped.
was born in 1889 (he married Florence and had two children, Irene and Frederick). For a time he was bandmaster of the Salvation Army band.
Ada Eleanor Mildred
was born in 1890 (she married Thomas Emmines and had two children, Betty and Ronald).
known as ‘Bill’, was born in 1894 (he married Ethel and had children Florence, Percy and Douglas).
known as ‘Jack’, was born in 1900 (he married Annie and had children, Alfred and Raymond).