This monument was not identified by CFHS but after some self set tree removal in April 2019 we were able to see some of the inscription and after searching the parish burial record found it marked the burial of John Ricardo Redden.
Monument This tall cross stands to the east of the central path, north of the centre circle. In the centre of the cross there is a carved sheep that represents the Lamb of God. At the base is a shield with the simple, but badly worn, inscription. The shield may have been chosen because his father was a heraldic painter.
John Ricardo Redd[en]
Died aged 1
Requiescat in [Pacecm]
John Ricardo Redden (1844 – 1860) John was the eldest child of Maria Everett née Wilkinson and and John Redden. His birth was registered in Cambridge in the first quarter of 1844. He died “after a long and most painful illness” on the 6th March 1860 when he was only 16 years old. His death was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press mainly because he was the son of Daniel Redden an Irish gentleman and “the great nephew of the late Daniel Ricardo MP” also his great aunts owned that newspaper.
John’s father was from Cork, Ireland where his father was a coach builder. It is not known what brought him to England but he set up a coach building business in Regent St Cambridge, opposite the University Arms Hotel. In 1845 the business ran into trouble and he was declared bankrupt but by 1847 he was back in business now in Belmont Place off Jesus Lane. His advert for an apprentice in 1847 was in the same edition of the CIP as the announcement of his father’s death in Cork. John snr died sometime after 1850 and before his son’s death in 1860 but we have not yet found a date or place.
In the 1851 census John was with his mother Maria and younger sister, also Maria, at the home of his two great aunts, Elizabeth and Ann Hatfield. Elizabeth & Ann owned the Cambridge Independent Press. Maria gives her occupation as coach builder but she did not appear to be a widow at that time. When John died he was living at his mother’s house in Church St. (Now Christchurch St) off Newmarket Road. After his death Maria sold the house and moved away. In 1871 she was in Croydon with her daughter. She seems to have kept her connections with the newspaper as she is described as a part proprieter. Later that year young Maria was married in Croydon Catholic Church to Leonardo Petre Nicholas Kervel, son of the late consul for Belgum in Jarva. Sadly she died on January 3rd 1873. She is buried in West Norwood Cemetery, Greater London.
In 1881 Maria was in Clapham with her widower son in law, Leonardo, and is described as a printer/stationer.
Research by Mary Naylor
British Newspaper Archive CIP 10 March 1860, 10 April 1847
CFHS transcripts of parish & census records
Find my Past