CFHS code : HT558

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of Dear Mother LOUISA JOHNSON d 28 Dec 1934 aged 72 also ROBERT JOHN JOHNSON d 28 Mar 1942 aged 84

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey



Louisa Johnson (née Tillyer) (3 October 1862 – 28 December 1934)

Louisa was born in Great Yarmouth and grew up there with her parents Mary and Sarah. Mark Tillyer was a labourer and Louisa married Robert Johnson on 1 Jun 1879 at St. Nicholas’ Church, Great Yarmouth. She had been baptisedat the same church  a few weeks earlier  on 12 May 1879.  Robert was a fisherman and they started married life in Great Yarmouth, living there until at least 1887 before moving to Cambridge where he was a fishmonger, trading from King Street. The couple had eight children: Louisa Florence  (1881-1966), Eleanor (1885-), Sarah Crisandra (1888-1959), Victoria Maud (Vic) (1890-1959), Florence Ethel (Flo) (1895-1950), Robert John (1897-1918) and two more children who died as infants.

In September 1902 Louisa charged Robert with having assaulted her.  At court she said he had gone upstairs to bed at 11.15pm, but had then come downstairs again and ‘deliberately struck her down with his fist in the mouth. The blow knocked her down. Prisoner did not say why he did it. Her upper lip was swollen and discoloured in consequence of the blow’.  This was the second incident in three weeks, and Robert had previously been charged on 10th September where he had been sentenced to ‘fourteen days in the second class’.  For this second incident Dr Lucas was asked to confirm that he was not insane.  Louisa confirmed that he had been drunk ‘but he had not had a great deal of drink’.  When Sgt. Fuller had gone to the house to arrest him he had found Robert asleep and very drunk.  The policeman gave evidence that he had ‘previously visited the house and found that prisoner had smashed nearly everything in it. He had cut up the bed and thrown the flock all over the room. He had also broken the looking glass, and there was a fire in the back yard in which prisoner appeared to have burned things. The house was a complete wreck’. Robert was sentenced to two months imprisonment with hard labour.

In January 1904 he yet again appeared in front of the Borough Police Court charged with ‘being drunk and disorderly in King Street….and with assaulting his wife Louisa Johnson’.  Louisa told the court that he had come in and started swearing at her before hitting her ‘violently in the eye and both fell to the ground. He was not sober’.  Their eldest daughter Louisa corroborated her mother’s evidence.  When arrested by police Robert was said to have become very violent. Louisa applied for a separation order, which the Bench refused on the grounds that the assault was not an aggrevated one.  Robert Johnson was sentenced to a further two months imprisonment with hard labour. Despite everything the couple appear to have remained together.

Louisa and Robert’s son Robert served with the 2nd Suffolk Regiment and died at the front in 1918.  The family placed extensive memorial messages in the Cambridge Independent Press on the first anniversary of his death.

Louisa died at King Street and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on New Years Eve 1934.


Robert John Johnson (26 December 1858 – 28 March 1942)

Robert was born and raised in Great Yarmouth, the eldest son of fisherman  Henry Johnson and Cassandra (née Moss). In 1939 he was living at 24 King Street with daughter Florence and her husband William Edmund  Maskell and was recorded as being a master fishmonger.  Robert died at home, and although his age was recorded as 84 years old on the grave monument it is believed he was 83 years old.












Newspaper archives

Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS


by Claire Martinsen


[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at]

Louisa Johnson; Robert John Johnson