CFHS code : BE12
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Memory of EMMA JONES d March 5 1895 aged 76 also JOHN her husband d June 4 1900 aged 81
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202406, 0.13719815 – click here for location
This headstone is located 2 rows west of the central path behind that of John’s parents. It is obscured by ivy and we have not ben able to check the full inscription but can see that it is badly eroded.
In Memory of EMMA JONES d March 5 1895 aged 76 years
Also JOHN her husband d June 4 1900 aged 81 years
Emma Jones (née Cropley) (20 October 1816 – 5 March 1895)
Emma was born in Bromley and was the daughter of jeweller Edward and Mary. She was baptised at St. Anne’s Soho Church in Westminster on 21 November 1816. She was living in Great Shelford married dentist surgeon John Jones on 3 May 1855 and they had two children: Adelaide Letitia (1857-1934) and Charles Percy (1860-). At the time they married John was working in Cheltenham, and they lived in Stamford for some time where daughter Letitia was born before moving to Great Yarmouth (at least 1857 onwards). In 1871 the couple were living at 65 Regent Street, Great Yarmouth with their son Charles.
Charles Jones moved to Cambridge to train to be a solicitor and it would appear Emma moved with him. In 1881 the pair were living on Searle Street, and in 1891 were lodging in Great Shelford with widow Jane Cropley. Charles married Ada Rowe in October 1891 in Great Yarmouth and then settled at 31 Regent Street. Emma died at his home in 1895.
John Jones (1818 – 4 June 1900)
John was born in Bury St. Edmunds and baptised there on 3 December 1818. He was the eldest son of dentist John Jones and his wife Mary (née Watson). In 1851 he was living with his four siblings and three servants at 63 Trumpington Street and working as a dentist in his father’s practice. He worked in Cheltenham before marrying Emma in 1855.
It has not been possible to find John on either the 1881 or 1891 census, but he died in Fulbourn Hospital Cambridge in 1900.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]