CFHS code : ML31
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : CHARLOTTE PALMER d Feb 21 1872 aged 81 DAVID KING d May 7 1858 aged 44 ELIZABETH JANE his wife d April 3 1878 aged 62
Monument : Not described
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202835, 0.13784803 – click here for location
Charlotte Palmer (née Eadson) (c.1790 – 21 February 1872)
Charlotte was born in Cambridge and was the daughter of grocer/baker Thomas Eadson (1756-1815) who had a shop on Union Lane. She married hatter John Palmer (1790-) on 1 August 1813 at St. Mary the Great Church. John had a shop at Petty Cury and the couple had at least two children: Elizabeth Jane (1815-1878) and John Stych (1818-1890). In November 1843 the business passed from father to son. It is not known when Charlotte was widowed but she lived with her daughter Elizabeth at Trumpington Street (1861) and 1 Camden Place, St. Andrew’s Street (1871). On census returns Charlotte was described as an owner of houses. She died at 1 Camden Place aged 81.
David King (1814 – 7 May 1858)
David was the son of college cook David and Ann (née Athill) and was baptised on 1 March 1815. In 1841 he was living with his widowed father at Silver Street and was working as a solicitor. David married Elizabeth Palmer on 28 September 1842 at St. Mary’s Church and they lived at 5 Mill Lane (1851).
David practised as a solicitor and was also coronor for the borough of Cambridge,. He also served as clerk to the Conservators of the Cam, clerk to the Visitors of the County Asylum, clerk to the magistrates of the Botthisham Petty Sessional Division and Hon. Secretary to the Cambridgeshire Hunt.
He died at Grove Lodge, Trumpington Street Cambridge aged 44 years old. Newspapers reported ‘Mr King had been very ill for a long period of time, and the announcement of his death will take none (of our readers) by surprise’. He had been confined to bed for four months before he died . It was reported ‘He possessed many excellent qualities and numerous friends will mourn his loss’ and also ‘he has been cut off in the very prime of life, with a prospering business, surrounded by every comfort and numerous friends who will long cherish and respect his memory’.
Elizabeth Jane King (née Palmer) (c.1816 – 3 April 1878)
Elizabeth was baptised at St. Mary the Great Church on 24 March 1816 and in 1841 was living with her parents at Petty Cury. She lived with her mother after the death of David King, and died at 1 Camden Place in April 1878.
The house and contents were acutioned on 28 and 29 May and consisted of: mahogany dining table and ten stout made chairs ‘the seats in morocco leather’, cottage pianoforte, pier table, pier glasses, drawing room table and eight chairs, breakfast room table and six ‘carved oak antique pattern chairs’, twenty one oil paintings, three hundred volumes of books, 300oz of plate ‘consisting of forks, spoons, ladles, toast rack, mug and other items’, china, bed and table linen, culinary utensils etc.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]