CFHS code : AG327
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MAY wife of JOHN S KING b Nov 12th 1868 d March 18 1901
Monument : Altar tomb
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
May Eliza King [nee Moir] (12 November 1868 – 18 March 1901)
May was born in Hitchin in Hertfordshire and was the daughter of Lewis and Sarah Moir. She was baptised at St Mary’s Church in Hitchin on 20th January 1869. The Moir family lived in Hitchin until at least 1881, and Scottish born Lewis Moir was a commerical traveller in the drapery business. By 1891 they had moved to Ipswich in Suffolk and Lewis had opened an outfitters shop. May is marked on the census as being a mothers help.
She married John Samuel King on 6th March 1895 at the Presbyterian Church in Ipswich. The marriage was reported in the East Anglian Times and the event was described as ‘a very pretty wedding’ with a ‘very large congregation’. May Moir was said ‘has always taken a most active interest in the Sunday School connected with the Presbyterian Church and been one of the most regular and useful members of the choir, and perhaps amongst the long list of wedding presents there are none more gratifying to her than those coming from the members of the choir and the Sunday School children’. May was given away by her father and wore a dress of ‘violet cloth, trimmed with velvet…hat and cloak to match; she wore a pearl horse-shoe brooch and carried a lovely shower bouquet of violets, both the gift of the bridegroom. She was attended by three bridesmaids – Misses Hartie and Minnie Moir, sisters; and Miss Brander, cousin’. The couple honeymooned in Paris.
May’s husband John Samuel King [1857 – 1931] was a draper who was 10 years her senior. He was originally from Wiltshire, but had moved to Cambridge and was founder in a business called Church and King, outfitters which was on Sidney Street. Sadly the marriage was short lived as May died in 1901 aged 32 years old. She died at their home Kingsdene, 4 Brooklands Avenue.
John married Louie Gowenloch Brander [1867-1959], who had been a bridesmaid at his first wedding. They had one daughter Janet Lewis [1909-1997] and lived at Brooklands Avenue  and later at 270 Hills Road [at least 1920-1925]. When John retired they moved to Felixstowe and he died there in 1931.
Source: Ancestry/newspaper archives
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]