CFHS code : AS144
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of BENJAMIN LANGTON d March 21 1873 aged 60 MARY ANN TWITCHETT widow of the above d Sunday Dec 5 1886 aged 63 also of GEORGE OLIVER LANGTON son of BENJ and MARY ANN LANGTON died in his infancy 1836
Monument : Column
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203556, 0.13675575 – click here for location
This column, in the parish area of All Saints, is carved with angels at the four corners and an angel carrying the cross on the top. It is located three rows from the west wall hidden behind vegetation.
‘In Loving Memory of Benjamin Langton died March 21 1873 aged 60′
“I waited patiently for the Lord”
Mary Ann Twitchett widow of the above died Sunday Dec 5 1886 aged 68’
“Into thy hands oh Lord we commend her spirit”
Also of George Oliver Langton son of Benj and Mary Ann Langton died in his infancy 1836′
“Of such is the kingdom of Heaven”
Benjamin Langton (c.1813 – 21 March 1873)
Benjamin was born in Cambridge and married Mary Collear at St. Andrew the Great Church on 12 March 1835. They had two children: George Oliver (1835-1836) and adopted daughter Henrietta Florence (known as Florence) (1861-1927). The family lived at Downing Street (1841) and 22 Jesus Lane (1851/1861).
Benjamin was a whitesmith, bellhanger and shoeing smith when he married. He had a shop at Bridge Street, but in September 1835 moved the business to Downing Street. By at least 1849 he had combined being a whitesmith with brewing beer, and in August 1853 bought the Elephant and Castle Brewery on Gold Street. Thereafter he was described as a brewer and maltster.
The family moved to 5 Maid’s Causeway (1869) and then Sunnyside, Chesterton Road where Benjamin died aged 60 years old.
Mary Ann Twitchett Langton (née Collear) (c.1818 – 5 December 1886)
Mary was the daughter of George and Ann (née Scoffield) Collear and married Benjamin Langton when she was c.16 years old. She died at Sunnyside aged 68 years old.
George Oliver Langton (21 October 1836 – November 1836)
George was baptised at St. Andrew the Great Church on 3 November 1836 and buried on 2 December.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]