CFHS code : CL50

Parish : St Clement

Inscription : MARY LATTIMER b Oct 27th 1858 d Jan 28 1941

Monument : Kerb stones (very broken)

Above information amended  from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.202408, 0.13807633 – click here for location

Lattimer kerb stones December 2018

Monument 

Inscription

MARY LATTIMER  Oct 27th 1858  – Jan 28 1941

Mary Lattimer (27 October 1858 – 28 January 1941)

Mary was born in Manchester, and baptised at St Saviour Church on 18th December 1858.  She was the daughter of William and Jane Lattimer.  Her father was employed in the cotton industry and the family lived in Carlisle from at least 1861 onwards.  William was the manager of a dye works, then a cotton factory, but by 1881 was running his own dye works employing 22 men and 4 boys.  Aged 23 [1881] Mary was working as a teacher.  She later moved to Wenvoe in Glamorgan [1891] where she worked as a Governess to the Jenner children, the children of Rev. George Jenner. Later she was a governess at Ellerslie School in Fremington, Devon [1901].  In the census of 1911 she was visiting her brother William who was Headmaster of Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Barnet – by this time Mary was working as a private secretary. How and why she came to Cambridge is unknown.  In 1939 she was living at 12 Park Parade, and is marked on the census as a pensioner.  She died aged 81 years old.

 

 

 

 

Claire Martinsen

Source: Ancestry

[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com

Mary Lattimer