CFHS code : ML14
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : In Loving Memory of CHARLES LAWSON d March 10 1904 in his [73th] year also of EMMA LOUISA wife of CHARLES LAWSON died at Rugby Nov 17 1929 in her 85th year
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20281, 0.13772976 – click here for location
Charles Lawson (c.1832 – 10 March 1904)
Charles was born in Conington, a village six miles south of Peterborough and was the son of John and Esther (née Willows). His father ran a pub and aged 19 Charles was living at 2 Fitzwilliam Street with his brother John Lawson, who worked as a college servant. Charles worked as servant to lawyer Edward Hailstone, who lived at Horton Hall, Horton near Bradford (1861) before returning to live in Cambridge where he worked as a college servant (1871). He married Emma Marfleet on 19 July 1871 at Christ Church and they had two sons: Charles Edward (1872-) and George Willows (1874-1940). The family lived at 8 Little St. Mary’s Lane (1881/1891) and then 7 Tennis Court Road (1901). Charles continued to work as a college servant, but had retired by 1901 at which point Emma was running a Lodging House from Tennis Court Road.
Charles died suddenly aged 72 years old and an inquest was held into his death. He was said to have been suffering from rheumatism and also had a bad cold. His son Charles Edward was with him and had been attempting to take his father downstairs, when he weakened and was taken back to bed where he died ten minutes later. The surgeon testified that ‘there was fatty degeneration of the heart and that the other organs were generated more so than might be expected in a man of the deceased age’. A verdict of death due to ‘syncope’ was given.
Emma Louisa Lawson (née Marfleet) (1845 – 17 November 1929)
Emma was born in Cambridge and was the daughter of George and Louisa (née Houlden). Her father was a grocer/baker and she grew up at 216-217 Newmarket Road where George Marfleet ran a shop. Emma worked as a ladies maid before marrying Charles Lawson and later was a Lodging House keeper (1901). After she was widowed she lived with son George Willows Lawson at Aylestone Road (1911) and then moved with him to Rugby, Warwickshire where she died aged 84 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]