This headstone situated in the northern meadow, in the parish area of St Andrew the Less, was not recorded in 2000 by CFHS. The inscription is badly eroded but the names Kate and Mary Ann Leach are visible. Using the limited information that CFHS were able to obtain from the headstone we have researched the parish records and established the identity of the occupants of this grave.
-RNETT [L or B]EACH / KATE / 1875 / -EACH / — Oct  [aged] –3
Barnet[t] Leach March 1880
Kate Leach February 1874 aged 1
Mary Ann Leach Oct 1898 aged 63
Barnett Leach (1823 – 1880)
Barnett was the second child of Richard Hopkins Leach and his wife Isabella. He was baptised on 2nd February 1823 at Holy Trinity church, Cambridge. He was brought up on Maid’s Causeway, Newmarket Road and became a master painter like his more famous brother Frederick (see links below). Barnett married widow, Mary Ann Friend, in Wisbech in 1867. They had at least seven children; Fred John (b 1868), Barnett (b 1869), Ernest (b 1871) Richard James (b 1872), Kate (b 1874), Arthur (b 1875) and William (b 1878).
The family lived at 35 City Road and 68 Eden Street.
Kate Leach (1874-1875)
Kate was the fifth child of Barnett and Mary Ann.
Mary Ann Leach (née James) (c 1834 – 1898)
Mary Ann was the daughter of George and [Ann] James of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Her father was a brazier. At 17 she was working as a dress maker and lodging with the Bird family in Gaywood, Norfolk. On April 13th 1858 Mary Ann married 21 year old veterinary surgeon Emerson William Friend. They lived in Wisbech, where they had a son Charles in 1860. Emerson died in 1862 at the age of 26.
It is not known how Barnett met Mary Ann, but after their marriage her son Charles lived with them and became a decorator. In 1881 Mary Ann was still living in Eden Street with her seven surviving children, her mother and a lodger.
Edited by Mary Naylor