CFHS code : HT336a
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of HENRY LIDDIARD d Sept 18 1922 age 71
Monument : Stone cross (base only)/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This stone cross, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, is located on the north of the south path just before the bend. Although the cross has fallen, the kerb stones and inscription are still intact.
In Loving Memory of HENRY LIDDIARD died Sept 18 1922 age 71 years.
Henry Liddiard (1851 – 18 September 1922)
Henry was born in Aldbourne, Wiltshire – a village six miles north east of Marlborough and was the son of Charles and Ann. He grew up in Aldbourne where his father was an agricultural labourer. By the age of 20 he had moved to live in Newbury, and was working as a page for doctor Stephen Hemsted and his wife Anne. He married Mary Ann Radford (1849-1883) on 13 June 1872 in Stoke Newington. On the marriage certificate Henry is documented as being a superintendant. The couple had three children: James Henry Theophilis (1873-1948), Charles (1874-) and Edith Mary (1880-1959). Henry and Mary started married life in London and lived at 7 Windsor Road (1873) and Henry worked as a warder of a city green. The children were all born in London, but by 1881 they had moved to live in Mary’s home city of Cambridge. The lived at 1a Park Terrace and Henry worked as a bicycle attendant (presumably on Parker’s Piece).
Mary Liddiard died in early 1883 and Henry married Harriett Louisa Wakeling in 1885. Harriett was known as Louisa, and was the daughter of college porter John Wakeling. Henry and Louisa had two children: Ralph (1885-1944) and Hilda Theresa (1894-1983). In the census of 1891 Henry was described as being a bicycle agent and the family were still at Park Terrace with servant Harriet Harding. They moved to live at Theresa House, 73 Glisson Road (at least 1901 onwards) and by 1911 Henry was described as being a cycle and motor agent and was employing son Ralph in the business.
The business was located at St. Andrew’s Hill (1913) and later at Downing Street (at least 1918). In July 1913 James Neville (alias James Victor Armstrong) was charged with stealing a bicycle from Henry. Neville was from Scotland and was charged with three charges all related to stealing bicycles from businesses across the city. He was sentenced to three months imprisonment for the theft from Henry Liddiard. In September 1918 Arthur Lyon who worked for Henry was granted a three month exemption from conscription and the panel remarked that bicycles were ‘passing from the luxury stage to the necessary means of transport stage’.
In May 1918 Henry himself appeared in front of magistrates charged with a ‘lighting offence in respect of the window of a sitting-room on the first floor of his house at 10.20pm’. PC Witham claimed he had seen the light shining from Parker’s Piece and when he went to Glisson Road had seen a light coming through a ‘three inch space between a thin blind and casement’. Henry pleaded not guilty and claimed he had only returned home at 10pm, by which time the offence had already been reported to the police so he could not have been guilty. The Clerk of the Bench said that the complaint had been received a day or two before, which was why the police were observing the property. He was found guilty and fined 2s and 6d.
He died at Glisson Road aged 71 years old. Louisa Liddiard died at 73 Glisson Road on 21 February 1930 aged 75 years old. Ralph Liddiard went to live at 73 Glisson Road with his wife Lillian (1939) and took over running of family business.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]