CFHS code : PL456
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : Pray for the soul of JOHN MICHAEL MAHONEY beloved son of Lieut & Mrs MAHONEY of Plymouth b 16th Dec 1882 d 1st Dec 1907
Monument : Stone cross (base only)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This small plinth is all that remains of the monument that is located in the parish of St Paul, roughly 18 rows east of the west path and very close to the THRUSH bird stone. Some of the inscription of metal letters is now covered by soil. The visible portion has some damaged letters. The cross has not been found.
Pray for the soul of JOHN MICHAEL MAHONEY
beloved son of Lieut & Mrs MAHONEY of Plymouth
b 16th Dec 1882 d 1st Dec 1907
John Michael Mahoney (16 December 1882 – 1 December 1907)
John was born in Plymouth Dock, the son of John and Margaret Mahoney. His father served in the Royal Navy, and was a gunner when John was born, later rising to the rank of Lieutenant. John grew up at 2 Hamoaze Terrace , then 168 North Road in Plymouth and aged 18 was working as a sorting clerk and telegraphist (1901). He enlisted in the Navy in 1904 to fight in the Boer War. From his enlistment papers it is known he was 5ft 9″ tall, with light brown hair, grey eyes and a fair complexion. The papers also show he was missing his second toe on his left foot. He served briefly aboard HMS Thistle from 18 December 1904 to 25 April 1905 when he was given permanent shore leave.
John moved to Cambridge to work for the Post Office and died suddenly aged 25 years old. The Cambridge Independent Preess reported ‘During the Boer War he went out to the Cape and took service under the Cape Government, but contracted enteric fever *, from which it is thought he never completely recovered. At the funeral…a number of the Post Office officials and employees attended’.
(*) – more commonly known as Typhoid fever.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]