CFHS code : PL179
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Loving Memory of HARRIET ANN wife of HENRY S MAJOR d 11 June 1894 aged 56 also HENRY STONE MAJOR d 12 Oct 1917 aged 76 also REBECCA MAJOR second wife of above d March 13 1932 aged 83
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
A tall attractive headstone roughly 12 rows east of the lodge and 1 row to the north of the south path. It is clearly visible. Set on a sturdy stone slab. One of the kerb stones fell over in 2019. The headstone and inscription are in good order.
In Loving Memory of HARRIET ANN
The beloved wife of HENRY S MAJOR
Who died June 11th 1894 aged 56 years
Also HENRY STONE MAJOR
Who died October 12th 1917 aged 76 years
Also REBECCA MAJOR second wife of above
Who died March 13 1932 aged 83 years
“Boast not thyself tomorrow for thou know not what a day may bring forth.”
Harriet Ann Major (née Holmes) (1837 – 11 June 1894)
Harriet was born in Lincolnshire but little else is known of her early life. She married publican Henry Major in London in 1889 and they went to live at 22 St. James Street (1891). Harriet died at 11 Mill Road and was buried on 13 June.
Henry Stone Major (1841 – 12 October 1917)
Henry was baptised in Bridport, Dorset on 28 February 1841. He was the son of publican Richard Major (1889-1848) and Ann (née Stone) and grew up at West Street, Bridport where his father ran a hotel/inn. After she was widowed his mother ran an inn on East Street, Bridport (1851). Henry is thought to have emigrated to New Zealand where he lived from at least 1864 – 1881. There is a record of a marriage for a Henry Stone Major to Catherine McGee in 1864, which would appear to contradict some of the information on the grave monument about him only having two wives. He lived at Ashley near Canterbury and is thought to have farmed whilst in New Zealand.
Henry return to England and moved to Cambridge c.1886 where he ran the Spotted Cow pub for a short time, although he left ‘as he did not like the style of business’. He then moved to Peach Road, Abbey Estate which was a new development of housing. In August 1889 he applied to run a pub/off license from his house which was opposed by ‘clergy, church wardens and other inhabitants of the neighbourhood’. At that time there were 80 houses on the estate with a population of c.250 people and Henry supported by Hudsons Brewery wanted to open a licensed premises due to the ‘high class erections’ of the estate which was growing rapidly. It is not thought the license was granted as in 1891 he was documented as being a ‘publican without business’.
After the death of Harriet he married widow Rebecca Seymour in 1896 and they ran The Bakers Arms, East Road (1901). By 1911 he had retired and they lived at 93 Norwich Street where he died aged 76 years old.
Rebecca Major (c.1848 – 13 March 1932)
Rebecca was a widow called Rebecca Seymour when she married Henry Major in 1896. She was born in Cambridge, and in 1891 was living with her three sons at 24 St. John’s Street, working as a dressmaker. The boys were all born in London, so she must have lived there for some of her life, but it is not known who her husband was, nor when she was widowed. Rebecca died at 93 Norwich Street and her funeral took place on 16 March 1932.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]