CFHS code : AS312
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : MARY LO[RAINE] [MARR] b [October 1818] d 1904
Monument : Coped stone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
The inscription is badly worn, but the grave is believed to be that of William and Mary Marr
Mary Ann Marr (née Reynolds)(c.1821 – 12 March 1897)
Mary was born in Lound in Suffolk, which is a small village between Great Yarmouth and Gorleston. She married William Marr around 1852. They had at least three children together: Frederick Charles (1853-1916), Arthur Reynolds (1854-1890) and Alice Mary (1858-1923). The younger children were born in Shirley, Hampshire so the couple must have lived there for a time in the late 1850’s. By 1871 Mary and William had moved to Cambridge and were living at 36 Park Street. William was described on the census of that year as a college servant, although later (1881) he worked as the manciple of Trinity College. A manciple was in charge of the purchasing of food and drink, although sometimes they also cooked the food also. Later the couple moved to live at 4 Malcolm Street, and Mary died there in March 1897 aged 76 years old.
Their son Frederick Charles married in and his wife Winifred Isabel is buried in the parish of Andrew the Less
William Marr (c.1827 – 8 December 1904)
William was born in Forncett St Mary in Norfolk. He is believed to have been the son of George and Mary Marr. George Marr was an agricultural labourer, and William also worked as a labourer. In 1851 he was living in the village with his 82 year old grandmother Sarah Marr.
After he was widowed William continued to live at 4 Malcolm Street with his daughter Alice. He died at his home aged 77 years old.
Alice Marr remained living at 4 Malcolm Street until her death. She ran it as a Lodging House after the death of her parents, and lived there with her niece Florence Edith Marr (daughter of Arthur Reynolds Marr). She died in 1923 aged 65 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]