We have not found a monument for Martin Clifton, but we know from newspaper archives that he was buried at Mill Road Cemetery. The most likely parish for his burial would have been Andrew the Less as he lived in this parish. We only have burial records up until 1913 Andrew the Less .
Martin Henry Clifton (30 October 1859 – 13 February 1915)
Martin was the only son of Benjamin and Mary Ann (née Martin) Clifton and grew up at 28 Grafton Street (1861) and then at 13 John Street (1871/1881). His father was a tailor and Martin also worked as a tailor and robemaker. He married Mary Louisa Hicks (1862-1952) on 8 February 1883 at Christ Church. The couple had at least nine children: Walter Martin (1883-1961), Arthur Reginald (1885-1974), Oliver (1888-), Ralph Conway (1890-1952), Herbert George (1893-), Margaret Mary (1896-1936), Dorothy Maud Evelyn (1898-1967), Maurice (1902-1075) and Winifred (1902-).
The family lived at Conway House, 56 Maids Causeway and Martin had his tailor’s shop at 13 Jesus Lane. He was said to have been a prominent member of the Beaconsfield Club, which was a working men’s club on Gwydir Street, where political meetings were also held. He died at home of acute bronchitis in what was described as an unexpected death. He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 18 February. A wreath at the grave side was from ‘his widow and sorrowing children’.
By Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]