CFHS code : AL568 and AL596

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Monument : Shield shaped ground stone/Headstone

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Lat Lon : 52.203835, 0.13773505 – click here for location

Masterson grave
Masterson headstone

Monument

This headstone, with shield-shaped groundstone, is located to the west of the central path, one row back, just before that path bends on its way to the north gate. The stonemason of the headstone was G. Gilkes.

Inscription

[headstone:]
‛In loving memory of May Florence Schenck,
third daughter of George & Julia Masterson, wife of George Theodor Schenck,
who departed this life March 2 1908 aged 32 years.’
“At rest”

‛Also of Julia Masterson, mother of the above,
died July 25 1911 aged 63 years.’
“Peace perfect peace.”

[groundstone:]

‛In loving memory of Douglas Walter Masterson
youngest son and brother of the above
and late of Battery New Zealand Field Artillery
who died at Waikari Hospital New Zealand 20th November 1928
as a result of wounds received in action at Gallipoli 1915
after many years of patient suffering.’

Mary Florence Schenck (née Masterson) (1875‒1908)

Mary was born in 1875 in Cambridge.  She was one of ten children born to George William Masterson (c.1836-?)and Julia Masterson (née Wallis) (1846-1911) . She was also the older sister of Douglass Walter Masterson.  In 1891 Mary was a visitor at Station House, Stoke Ferry, Norfolk. Mary married Georg Hermann Heinrich Theodor Schenck (c.1866‒1919) in 1895 in Cambridge.  Georg was German.  They had one daughter, Thelma Florence (1900‒30). In 1901 the family were living at 280 Sandycombe Road, Richmond, Surrey.  Georg was working as a Commission Agent.  Mary died on 2 March 1908 in St Pancras, London but was buried in Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge with her mother.  In 1911 Georg was a boarder at 8 Cambridge Terrace, Regent Park, London.  He was working as a Director of a motor company. Meanwhile, Thelma was a pupil at Greencroft, 32 The Avenue, Eastbourne, Sussex.  Georg died on 10 February 1919 at 19 Campbell Road, West Croydon, Surrey.  His last known address was 43 Addiscombe Road, Croydon, Surrey. By this time (after the First World War) he was known as George Henry Theodore Schenck.  By the time Thelma married in 1926 she was using her mother’s maiden name and was calling herself Thelma Wallis.  Thelma died on 20 January 1930 in Marylebone, London shortly after giving birth to her son, Walter John Coleman (1930‒81).

Julia Masterson (née Wallis) (1846‒1911)

Julia Masterson
Julia Masterson

Julia was born in 1846 in Cambridge.  She was one of at least four children born to John Wallis (c. 1811-1860)  and Sarah Wallis (née Johnson).  (c.1811-1878) By 1861 Julia’s mother was a widow and the family were living at 11 East Road, Cambridge. Julia married George William Masterson (c.1836-?) in 1870 in the district of Poplar, London.  They had ten children including Julia Sarah Minnie (1871‒1951), Margaret May (1873‒76), Mary Florence (1875‒1908), Sidney George (1877‒1961), Arthur Robert (1881‒82), Dora Harriet (1885‒1979), and Douglass Walter (1889‒1928). In 1881 the family were living at 13 Bulford Street, Kensington, London.  George was working as a dyer.  In 1891 the family were living at 1 Juby’s Court, Cambridge.  Julia was listed as the Head of the household and was working as a dyer.  In 1901 census George was listed as a ‘pauper’ and was living in the Fulham Workhouse, Fulham Palace Road, London.  Meanwhile, the rest of the family were still living in Cambridge at 11 St Peter’s Court.  Julia was working as a feather curler.  Only Dora and Douglass were still living at home.  Dora was working as a milliner’s apprentice and Douglass was still at school.  By 1911 Julia was widowed and living with three of her children (Sidney, Dora and Douglass) at 5G Morgan Mansions, Holloway Road, Highbury, London.  Julia was not employed but her children were employed as a ship’s steward, café manageress, and solicitor’s clerk respectively.  Julia died on 25 July 1911 in the district of Chertsey, Surrey.

Douglass Walter Masterson (1889‒1928)See also Life Story page

Douglass, Patricia, Eleanor
Douglass, Patricia, Eleanor

Douglass was born in 1889 in Cambridge, the youngest of ten children of George William Masterson (c.1836-?) and Julia Masterson (née Wallis) (1846-1911). Douglass married Eleanor Frances Marsh (1889‒1955) on 5 June 1915 at St Cuthbert’s Church, Manaia, New Zealand.  The couple had two daughters: Patricia Eleanor (1919‒77) and Mary Elizabeth (1925‒96).

Douglass served with the 1st Battery New Zealand Expeditionary Force at Gallipolli, where he was wounded in 1915.  Transported back to New Zealand in 1916, he lived for twelve more years.  He died on 20 November 1928 in Waikari Hospital and was buried in Wellington Cemetery in New Zealand.  His last known address was 20 Armagh Street, Christchurch.

[If you know anything further about Douglass Masterson, please contact us at friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com.]

Sources:
New Zealand and Australian Division
Census: 1841, 18511861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837‒1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837‒1915
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837‒1915
New Zealand, Death Index, 1848‒1964
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858‒1966
UK and Ireland, Find a Grave Index, 1300s‒Current
New Zealand Army WWI Nominal Rolls, 1914‒1918
Dominion, 12 June 1915.
New Zealand Herald, 3 October 1919.
Evening Post, 31 May 1916.
Evening Post, 22 November 1928
Photograph of Julia Masterson (née Wallis) taken from the book Letters from Annie by Merilyn Hamlin
Photographs by kind permission of Merilyn Hamlin

By Emma Easterbrook and Merilyn Hamlin (granddaughter of Douglass Masterson)

Douglass Walter Masterson; Julia Masterson; Mary Florence Schenk