CFHS code : ML65
Parish : St Mary the Less
Inscription : In Memory of SARAH wife of JOHN RIGG d June 20 1850 aged 29 also GEORGE MATTHEWS brother of the above d May 21 185 aged 2 also HENRY THORPE cousin of the above d August 11 185 aged 2 also JOHN RIGG husband of the above d Aug 10 1884 aged 56 CHARLES MATTHEWS brother of the above SARAH RIGG d Feb 27 1885 aged 62 also SUSAN THORPE mother of the above HENRY THORPE d Nov 2 1892 age 84
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202696, 0.13803165 – click here for location
This headstone stands 2 rows north of the path that runs from the centre circle to the east path. Only Sarah and Henry are recorded in the grave register.
In Memory of SARAH wife of John Rigg died June 20 1859 aged 29
Also GEORGE MATTHEWS brother of the above died May 21 185 aged 2
Also HENRY THORPE cousin of the above died August 11 1858 aged 25
Also JOHN RIGG husband of the above died Aug 10 1884 aged 56
CHARLES MATTHEWS brother of the above SARAH RIGG died Feb 27 1885 aged 62
Also SUSAN THORPE mother of the above HENRY THORPE d Nov 2 1892 age 84
Sarah Rigg (née Matthews) (11 September 1829 – 20 June 1859)
Sarah was the daughter of George and Ann (née Pratt) and was baptised on 11 September 1829 in Cambridge. George Matthews was a schoolmaster when Sarah was born, but later worked as a land surveyor. She maried stonemason John Rigg (1828-1884) on 8 April 1855 at St. Peter’s Church, Walworth. They had at least two children: Jane (1856-) and James (1858-1923) who were born in Westminster but Sarah died in Cambridge aged 29 years.
George Henry Matthews (19 September 1836 – 21 May 1859)
George was the younger brother of Sarah and was baptised on 15 October 1837. In 1851 he was living at 31 James Street, and was an apprentice to tailor Henry Pepper. He is believed to have died in Islington aged 22 years old.
Henry Thorpe (7 December 1832 – 11 August 1858)
Henry was the only son of William and Susan (née Pratt) Thorpe and was baptised at the Magdalen Primitive Methodist Chapel on New Year’s Eve 1832. His father died when he was young and he lived with his mother and sister at Castle Street (1841). When the 1851 census was taken he was visiting his cousin Mary Hill in London and died in Cambridge aged 25.
John Rigg (1828 – 10 August 1884)
John was the son of James and was born in Shickland, Westmorland – a village five miiles south east of Penrith. He was already working as a stonemason when he married Sarah Matthews in 1855. After she died he married Martha Taylor (1826-1899) on 28 May 1860 at St. Matthew’s Church, Westminster. John and Martha had at least five children together: Sarah (1861-1898), Margaret Elizabeth (1863-), Thomas Wilkinson (1865-1929), Martha (1868-) and John (1871-1905). The family lived at 2 St. John Street, Westminster (1871) and then moved to live in Walthamstow where John was documented as being an engineer’s clerk (1881). He died at Windsor Street in Putney.
Charles Matthews (1823 – 27 February 1885)
Charles was the eldest son of George and Ann (née Pratt) and brother of Sarah and George. He was baptised at St. Giles’ Church on 2 March 1823 and worked as a tailor. In 1841 he was living at Hobson Street , Cambridge and later lived at 2 St. John Street, Westminster with his brother in law John Rigg and his family (1871) and by 1881 was living at St. John Street with his widowed sister Mary. Charles died in Goudhurst, Kent and was buried there on 5 March 1885.
Susan Thorpe (1808 – 2 November 1892)
Susan was the daughter of Jeremiah and Mary and was baptised on 15 May 1808 at St. Giles’ Church, Cambridge. She married William Thorpe and they had two children: Sarah Jane (1830-1904) and Henry. William Thorpe was a stonemason and they lived at Castle Street. She was widowed in March 1835 and continued to live at Castle Street (1841) before moving to live at Gothic Street where she worked as a laundress (1851). She later went to live with daughter Sarah and her husband Thomas Holdsworth at 46 Newnham (1861) and St. Andrew’s Street (1871). In 1861 she was documented as being a college servant, by 1871 she was recorded as being a former laundress. In 1881/1891 she was living alone at 8 Queen’s Lane and was recorded as a former bedmaker. Queen’s Lane was the site of the King’s College almshouses. Susan died at St. Andrew’s Street.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]