CFHS code : HT272
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ALFRED TUBALCAIN MILLER d 16th July 1891 aged 56 also his wife MARY LOUISA MILLER d 13th May 1892 aged 58
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone, in the parish area of Holy Trinity, is located close to the south wall, five rows from the central path. The inscription faces west.
In Loving Memory of ALFRED TUBALCAIN MILLER
died 16th July 1891 aged 56 years
Also his wife MARY LOUISA MILLER
died 13th May 1892 aged 58 years
“Peace Perfect Peace”
Alfred Tubalcain Miller (c1834 – 1891)
Alfred was the son of William Miller & Ann [Hannah] and was born in Fulbourn. His father was a drillman when Alfred was born but later owned his own farm. Alfred was still living at home in 1851 and it is not known when he became an organ builder but by 1856 he had started the Miller’s music business
On 20th September 1859 he married Mary Louisa Foister in Holy Trinity Church, Cambridge. The announcement in the Cambridge Independent Press described him as ‘Forman to Mr Dawson, organ builder.’
They had two children Flora (1861 – 1931) and Albert Hugh (1868 – 1932) who were privately baptised on February 6th 1868.
The family lived at 6 Sidney Street.
In 1881 aged 19 Flora was assisting her mother.
Albert joined joined the family firm of Miller & Son as an organ builder.
They are both buried in the parish of Holy Trinity – HT269
Mary Louisa Miller née Foister (c1833 – 1892)
Mary was born in Stamford to printer Hugh Foister and his wife Mary. She was baptised on December 6th 1833 at St George’s church. By 1836 the family had moved to Cambridge. In 1839 Hugh, in partnership with T Glover, took over the business of Weston Hatfield in Black Bear Court off Sydney St Cambridge. In 1841 the family were living in James St. Hugh died in 1847 and his wife took over the printing business. By 1851 she was living with her children at 14 Victoria St and 17 year old Mary Louisa was now a dressmaker. Her sister Harriet had taken up millinery and her brother Hugh South was an apprentice printer. By 1868 a printing firm called Foister’s & Jagg was operating from Falcon Yard and a printing firm of that name was still operating in Cambridge in 1990.
Mary Louisa was head milliner at Smith and Bowbier”s before her marriage.
This page is being researched by Mary Naylor
CFHS Transcripts of parish & census records
British Newspaper Archives
[If you have any further information about this family please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]