CFHS code : PL558a
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In loving memory of JAMES FREDERICK MILLER, born Aug 2nd 1845, died 30th 1896. Also of LAURA the beloved wife of the above, born Sept 1848, died Dec 19th 1922.
Monument : Stone cross (fallen)
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202383, 0.13598237 – click here for location
The pillar, in the parish area of St Paul, lies next to the plinth with pieces from the celtic cross.
‘In Loving Memory of James Frederick Miller
Born Aug 2nd 1845. Died Dec 30th 1896
Also of Laura The beloved wife of the above
Born Sep * 1848. Died Dec 19th 1922’
James Frederick Miller (1845 – 1896)
James was born in Cambridge to William and Charlotte Miller. The family lived at Trinity Hall where his father was a butler (1851). In 1861 James was an under butler at Trinity Hall. At the time of his death, aged 51, James was living at 1 Dorset Terrace, Cambridge.
Laura Miller (1848- 1822)
Laura was born in Cambridge to William and Elizabeth Reynolds who lived “behind the town hall”. William was a painter but also a publican and by the time Laura was 12 he was running The Castle Inn on Castle Street, Cambridge. At the time of her death, aged 75, Laura was living at 44 Lynwode Road, Cambridge.
James married Laura Reynolds in 1868. They married in Marylebone but were living at 3 Green Street in the parish of All Saints when their son was born later that year. James was working as a college butler but the census does not say which college. By 1881 James had become a wine merchant and the family were living in Benet Street, Cambridge. They moved to Norwich Street, Cambridge before the 1891 census. They had at least eight children.
[If you have any further information about these persons, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]
Parish Records and Census Transcriptions provided by CFHS and held at Cambridgeshire Archives.