CFHS code : AL126
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Inscription : Sacred to the Memory of HENRY MODEN d 19 July 1867 aged 51 also of SARAH MODEN d 3 May 1890 aged 77 also of JOHN MODEN d 18 July 1898 aged 58
Monument : Heavily decorated column
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203764, 0.137936 – click here for location
This elaborately decorated column, in limestone and sandstone with red marble, is constructed in four stages: the lowest is four-sided with inscribed panels on three sides, the second is eight-sided with short marble columns, the third is eight-sided conical with gables on four sides, and the topmost eight-sided conical (the tip is missing). It is located in the parish area of St Andrew the Less on the east side of the central path between the centre circle and the north gate.
‘Sacred to the memory of Henry Moden
who died 19 July 1867 aged 51 years’
“The end was peace.” [?]
‘Also of Sarah Moden
who died 3 May 1890 aged 77 years’
“In Thee is hope” [?]
‘Also of John Moden
who died 18 July 1898 aged 58 years’
“The Lord’s will be done.”
Henry Moden – brewer – see also Life Story page
Henry Moden snr (1816-67) was Cambridge-born. By 1851 he was a ‘grocer’ at 22 East Road, and by 1861 ‘grocer and brewer’ at 5 East Road. By 1855 he had acquired The Tiger public house on the corner of East Road and Bradmore Street (long demolished, now part of the forecourt of Anglia Ruskin University, opposite the Zion Chapel with its own brewery associated (perhaps behind the pub), and allegedly became known as ‘Tiger Moden’, as is the case in the following report of his exploits in horse racing at the 1865 Cambridge Races:
The pony race was excellent, so far as the first three ponies were concerned; but ‘Tiger’ Moden’s pony was like the Irishman’s horse at Newmarket – driving all before it.
Sarah Moden (1813-1890)
At Henry’s death in 1867 his widow, Sarah (1813-90, Bottisham-born), took over the business. The couple had at least five children.
John Moden (1841-1898)
The eldest son, John (1841-98), became an assistant brewer by 1861, but did not remain with his family after the 1860s and by 1881 is listed as a wine and spirits merchant at 16‒17 Market Street. All three are buried in this cemetery.
There are ten other graves in Cambridge in which members of the Moden family are interred: seven in Mill Road Cemetery, two in Histon Road Cemetery, and one in Christ Church churchyard.
Flood, R. J., Cambridge Breweries: an Account of the Brewing Industry in Cambridge from 1800 to the Present Day (Cambridge Society for Industrial Archaeology and CAMRA Cambridge, 1986), pp. 15, 30
The Cambridge Independent Press, 22 July 1865, p. 7
Census reports 1851 to 1911
Mathieson’s, Kelly’s, Craven’s, Slater’s and Spalding’s street directories for various years
By Robin Mansfield, Emma Easterbrook and Ian Bent