This branch of the Moden family were Cambridge brewers who owned The Tiger public house at 4/5 East Road from the mid-1850s to 1889 and after that other Cambridge pubs. Henry Moden Snr, his wife Sarah and his sons John and Henry Jnr were all involved in the business.
Sidney Fred Moden (1889–1916) was Rifleman (S/15364) of the 3rd Battalion, Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own). He is recorded as reported missing in France in September 1916 died presumably at the Battle of the Somme. He is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial (Pier and Face 16 B and 16 C) as being killed in action on 19 August 1916. He is also commemorated on the war memorial at the Cambridge Guildhall.
Henry Moden, snr
Henry Moden snr (1816-67) was Cambridge-born. By 1851 he was a ‘grocer’ at 22 East Road, and by 1861 ‘grocer and brewer’ at 5 East Road. By 1855 he had acquired The Tiger public house on the corner of East Road and Bradmore Street, with its own brewery associated (perhaps behind the pub), and allegedly became known as ‘Tiger Moden’, as is the case in the following report of his exploits in horse racing at the 1865 Cambridge Races:
The pony race was excellent, so far as the first three ponies were concerned; but ‘Tiger’ Moden’s pony was like the Irishman’s horse at Newmarket – driving all before it.
At Henry’s death in 1867 his widow, Sarah (1813-90, Bottisham-born), took over the business. The couple had at least five children, of whom the eldest son, John (1841-98), became an assistant brewer by 1861, but did not remain with his family after the 1860s, and by 1881 is listed as a wine and spirits merchant at 16‒17 Market Street. All three are buried in this cemetery.
Henry Moden, jnr
Sarah’s second son, Henry (1852-1929), was 19 at the time she took charge. In the course of the 1870s he became the ‘brewer & licensed victualler’ of The Tiger. In 1881 he is also recorded as ‘brewer and publican’ of The Wheatsheaf at 69 St Andrew’s Street. The Tiger was sold in 1889 to Hudsons of Pampisford. By 1895 he was publican of the Osborne Arms at 42 Hills Road.
Henry and his wife, Elizabeth (1851-1912, born Fen Drayton) had at least seven children. Of these, Sidney H fought on the Western front and was reported missing in September 1916, probably at the battle of the Somme. All three are buried in the cemetery
There are ten other graves in Cambridge in which members of the Moden family are interred: seven in Mill Road Cemetery, two in Histon Road Cemetery, and one in Christ Church churchyard.
Lat Lon : n/a
Parish : St Andrew the Less
Lat Lon : n/a
Parish : St Mary the Great
Flood, R. J., Cambridge Breweries: an Account of the Brewing Industry in Cambridge from 1800 to the Present Day (Cambridge Society for Industrial Archaeology and CAMRA Cambridge, 1986), pp. 15, 30
The Cambridge Independent Press, 22 July 1865, p. 7
Census reports 1851 to 1911
Mathieson’s, Kelly’s, Craven’s, Slater’s and Spalding’s street directories for various years
By Robin Mansfield, Emma Easterbrook and Ian Bent