CFHS code : AS77
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of ROBERT WILLIAM MODEN d March 28 1924 age 65 also his eldest daughter SYBIL MAY. The beloved wife of Philip John Philo. Who died April 22nd 1924 aged 23 years
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.203498, 0.13697249 – click here for location
This cross with kerb stones, in the parish area of All Saints, is located on the north side of the south path where it bends to the south. The monument is well preserved.
In Loving Memory of ROBERT WILLIAM MODEN died March 28 1924 age 65 years
Also his eldest daughter Sybil May The beloved wife of Philip John Philo Who died April 22nd 1924 aged 23 years
Robert William Moden (1859 – 28 March 1924)
Robert was born in Cambridge and was the son of Robert Mouel and Catherine Maria Moden. He grew up at 43 Staffordshire Street, where his father ran a grocer store. He married Nelly Sibbella Hicks (1864-1940) in 1898. They had three daughters: Sybil May (1900-1924), Lilian (1901-1988) and Nelly (1902-1991). Robert ran a grocery store at 81 East Road and was still resident there until at least 1913. In 1920 his address was 26/27 Trinity Street. Robert died at 81a Mill Road, Cambridge. Although this was the workhouse, it was more of a home for the elderly by this time. It is not known if he was on the staff or an inmate.
Sybil May Philo (nee Moden) (1900 – 22 April 1924)
Sybil was the eldest daughter of Robert and Nelly Moden. She grew up at 81 East Street with her sisters. She was an accomplished singer, and her name appeared often in newspapers of the time in relation to the various concerts she took part in. She was a member of the Bijou Amateur Dramatic Club amongst other groups, and was said to have a ‘good contralto voice’. Sybil married Philip John Philo in 1921. She died at the National Hospital Queen Square London one month after her father.
Nelly Moden moved from Trinity Street to live at 30 Lyndewode Road with her daughter Lilian. She lived there from at least 1930 until she died in 1940. Her middle daughter then lived at the house until her death in 1988.
CFHS Parish record transcriptions
by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen