CFHS code : AG260
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of FELIX W MORLEY MA Mus Bac of Pembroke College Nov 20 1855 _ June 13 1915 also In Memory of SARAH his wife d 15 July 1927 laid to rest at Muncaster Cumberland also of their eldest son BERNARD CHARLES MORLEY d Jan 10 1954
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20298408, 0.13632408 – click here for location
This stone cross, in the parish area of St Andrew the Great, is located to the west of the western path, several graves back (behind the Free grave, under trees), just north of the path leading to the centre circle. In 2019, it was inaccessible.
In Loving Memory of FELIX W MORLEY MA Mus Bac of Pembroke College Nov 20 1855 _ June 13 1915
also In Memory of SARAH his wife d 15 July 1927 laid to rest at Muncaster Cumberland
also of their eldest son BERNARD CHARLES MORLEY d Jan 10 1954
Felix Morley (d 1915)
Felix Wilson Morley (20 November 1855 – 13 June1915)
Felix was born in Bassingbourn and was the youngest son of Daniel and Catherine Morley. He grew up on the High Street in Bassingbourn where his father was a harness/rope maker and his mother ran a ‘ladies school’. His father died when he was 12 years old, and aged 15  he was living with his mother and siblings in Bassingbourn and was described as an ‘organist’.
He was admitted as a pensioner, aged 19, to Pembroke College on 8 October 1874. He matriculated in Michaelmas the same year, gaining his BA in 1878, MA in 1883 and Mus Bac in 1885. In 1881 he was a lodger at 5 Tennis Court Road, and was described as an organist, and Batchelor of Arts. He married Sarah Smith later that year in Lincoln. Felix’s brother John Morley had married Sarah’s sister Clara in 1875.
Felix and Sarah had six children: Esther Clare [1883-1945], Rachel Helen [1884-1971], Bernard Charles [1886-1954], Vincent [1887-1930], Adela Guinivere [1888-1970] and Denys Warwick [1890-1963].
Felix was the Pembroke College organist as well as the organist at Bassingbourn Parish Church from 1868-1873. He composed church music and was the Music Master at the Perse School. The family lived at 4 Maid’s Causeway [1881,1891] 98 Hills Road , 34 Station Road  and then at 2 Harvey Road.
He died at 2 Harvey Road, Cambridge on 13th June 1915. He was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 16th June, and the funeral service was reported in the Cambridge Independent Press, headlined ‘Organist at Pembroke College for thirty years’. Felix had been ill for about two months before he died. The newspaper also reported ‘Mr Morley also frequently deputised for the organist at St. Catherine’s College. His services both at Pembroke and at St Catherine’s College were always greatly appreciated and his death is deeply deplored by all who knew him’. The choirs of both Colleges sang at the service.
Sarah Morley [nee Smith] (22 August 1852 – 15 July 1927)
Sarah was the daughter of Warwick and Sarah Smith. She was born in Manchester, and baptised at St Saviour’s Church in Chorlton on 13th July 1849. Her mother died when she was 5 years old and she grew up with her father and step mother Louisa in Ashton and Stodday in Lancaster. Louisa Smith died in 1873 when she was 19 years old, and she moved with her father to live in Cambridge. In 1881 they were living at 1 St Paul’s Road, with her sister Clara and her husband John Morley. She married John’s brother Felix later that same year.
After being widowed she went to live at Windygap in Rottingdean in Sussex. She died however at Forest How in Eskdale, in Cumbria in 1927. She was buried in Muncaster in Cumbria, but commemorated in Mill Road Cemetery.
Bernard Charles Morley (1886 – 10 January 1954)
Bernard was the eldest son of Felix and Sarah Morley. He was born in Cambridge and grew up at 4 Maid’s Causeway. In 1901 he was 15 years old and was at Boarding School in Harpenden. He went to Cambridge University, although it is not known which College he was at.
He was recruited into the Royal Navy Air Service at the Cambridge Union Society in December 1915, and was appointed temporary Sub Lieutenant on 6th December 1915. He trained at both Eastchurch and Roehampton and sailed on the Ark Royal to the Eastern Mediterranean on 15th April 1916. Bernard appears to have caught malaria, and re-occuringly ill from October 1916 to June 1917 when he was invalided out of the Navy. He rejoined the Royal Navy Volunteer reserve on 28th September 1917 as a Lieutenant, and released from the Navy in April 1919 after the end of the war.
He married widow Margaret Frances Godfray [nee Sprague] (1874-1953) at St Stephen’s Church in Paddington on 13th October 1917. Margaret’s husband Edward De Vismes Godfray had died in June of that year, and she had three daughters aged 12, 10 and 9 at the time of her second marriage. In 1921 they were living at 27 St Stephen’s Road in London.
It is believed that Bernard worked for the British Foreign Office. In June 1935 he sailed from Brisbane to London on the Maloja ship, and his occupation was stated as ‘consular’. In 1935 he was living at 179 Gloucester Terrace, and by 1951 at 69 Princes Square in Paddington. He died at the St Charles Hospital in Kensington, and was buried in London on 13th January 1954. His death is commemorated in Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge.
ACAD – A Cambridge Alumni Database
by Sheila Plaister and Claire Martinsen