CFHS code : BE4
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : MO ARTHUR ROBERT MOYES d Feb 20 1893 aged 33 also of REGINALD HAMMOND son of the above d Jan 25 1893 aged 5 months
Monument : Headstone
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Arthur Robert Moyes (17 June 1860 – 20 February 1893)
Arthur was the son of Andrew Helenus and Catherine Moyes. He was baptised at St Mary the Great Church on 6th August 1860. His father and grandfather John Andrew Moyes were well known hotelliers in the city, and he was raised at the Red Lion Hotel on Petty Cury.
In 1881 he was recorded as being a hotel clerk. He married Alice Ann Hammond in London on 19th August 1883 when he was 23 years old. They had at least three children together Lilian Alice [1883-], Winifred Mary [1889-1932] and Reginald Hammond [1892-1893].
Arthur ran the Bath Hotel at 3 Benet Street. This hotel came via Alice’s Uncle Philip. In 1891 he is recorded as living there with Alice and five servants. He died at the hotel in 1892 aged 32 years old leaving an estate of £100.
Reginald Hammond Moyes (1882 – 25 January 1893)
Reginald was the only son of Arthur and Alice Moyes. He died a month before his father.
Alice Moyes continued to run the Bath Hotel until at least 1896. She then moved to take over the Red Lion Hotel at 28 Petty Cury, which had been run by her father in law Andrew Helenus Moyes. She died in March 1922 aged 66 years old.
The Red Lion Hotel was then taken over by her daughter Winifred Mary Moyes. Winifred Mary Moyes died in 1932 at the Evelyn Nursing Home. She died a wealthy spinster leaving an estate valued at £48,217 – the culmination of the very industrious Moyes family. The Red Lion Hotel was demolished in 1969.
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]