CFHS code : MC56
Parish : St Michael
Inscription : In Loving Memory of EDITH beloved wife of WILLIAM MYNOTT d May 5th 1924 aged 50 CLAUD killed in action 1940 aged 25 also DORIS daughter aged 23 also their son WILLIAM THOMAS aged 25 WILLIAM MYNOTT d March 2nd 1963 aged 89
Monument : Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202576, 0.13773317 – click here for location
This set of kerb stones, in the parish area of St Michael, is located three graves south of, and a quarter of the way along, the path running from the centre circle to the eastern path.
‘In loving memory of Edith, beloved wife of William Mynott
who passed away May 5th 1924 aged 50 years’
‘Claud killed in action 1940 aged 25’
‘Also Doris daughter aged 23 years’
‘Also their son William Thomas aged 25 years’
‘William Mynott died March 2nd 1963 aged 89 years’
Edith and William Mynott were the parents of Claude, Doris and William Thomas, as well as six other children not buried in this cemetery.
Edith Mynott (née Carter) (1873‒1924)
Edith Carter born in 1873 in West Wickham, daughter of William Carter, carpenter, and his wife Sarah. She was baptised at Castle Camps Congregation Chapel on 16 October 1873 together with her twin sister Ethel.
Edith married William Mynott on 14 October 1893 at Linton Register Office. Her twin sister was a witness to the wedding. The couple had nine children, of whom three are commemorated in this grave.
Edith died on 5 May 1924 at 6 Green Street, Cambridge, age 50 years, the wife of William Mynott, sewing machine agent. The cause of death is given as chronic nephritis and uraemia.
Claud Mynott (1914‒40) – WW2 soldier – see also Life Story page
Claude Mynott was born 17 August 1914 in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, the son of William and Edith Mynott. He had eight siblings, of whom two, Doris and William Thomas, are buried in this grave.
Prior to the Second World War, Claude had been employed at Pye’s electrical company, but was called up as a Volunteer Reserve at the beginning of hostilities. By 1940 he was a Telegraphist (C/WRX/160) on H. M. Trawler Sisapon, Royal Navy. He had been home as recently as two weeks before his death, which occurred on 12 June 1940 when he was 25 years of age. His death is recorded on the Chatham Naval Memorial in Kent (40 3). The trawler Sisapon (built in 1928 and requisitioned by the Admiralty in September 1939 for mine-sweeping duties in the war and based at Grimsby) was mined and sunk off Harwich on 12 June 1940. It is interesting that at the time that the inscription on Mill Road Cemetery grave was carved the family evidently knew neither the precise date nor the location of his death. (See the newspaper obituary.)
Doris Winifred Mynott (1901‒24)
Doris Winifred was born in 1901 in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, the daughter of William and Edith Mynott. She was baptised at Castle Camps Congregational Chapel on 3 February 1901. Doris married John William Bayes, house painter and journeyman, in 1920 in Peterborough.
She died on 18 July 1924, aged 23, the cause of death being pulmonary tuberculosis. Her final address is given as 151 Burrell’s Walk, Cambridge. (Burrell’s Walk had been the location of a temporary military hospital during the First World War ‒ the First Eastern General Hospital. After 1919, many of its wooden huts were converted into homes to ease Cambridge’s housing crisis.) In the street directory for 1924/25, her husband’s name is given as head of household, “Bays, W., painter”; the couple could have been there in 1923/24, and Bayes could have lived there during the following two years, but by 1927/28 it had changed hands.
William Thomas Mynott (1910‒c.1925)
William Thomas was born in 1910 in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, the son of William and Edith Mynott. He was baptised at Castle Camps Congregational Chapel on 11 December 1910. He died at Papworth Village Settlement c. 1925, aged 25, very probably of tuberculosis.
William Mynott (1874‒1963)
William was born on 18 January 1874 to Thomas Mynott and his wife Amelia (née Rawlingson) in Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire. William married Edith Carter on 14 October 1893 at Linton Register Office. He was described then as a “mat weaver of Shudy Camps, son of Thomas, labourer”.
The War Graves Photographic Project
Royal Naval Patrol Service Memorial (lists some of Claud’s shipmates)
England census reports 1871‒1911
Free BMD search
Spalding’s street directories 1920‒29
Philomena Guillebaud, From Bats to Beds to Books: The First Eastern General Hospital (Haddenham: Fern House, 2012)
Records of St Giles Church, Cambridge (CFHS CD)
This grave was located and recorded by the Sixth-formers of the Parkside Federation, Cambridge on 14 November 2012.
By Jacqueline Rouse and Ian Bent