CFHS code : HT171

Parish : Holy Trinity

Inscription : In Loving Memory of A devoted husband HARRY WILLIAM NEGUS d December 14th 1919 aged 51 also HANNAH ESTHER NEGUS his beloved wife d June 11th 1951 aged 84

Monument : Kerb stones/Flowerholder

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

Inscription

Harry William Negus (1868 – 14 December 1919)

Harry was born in Melbourn, ten miles south of Cambridge and was the son of Ellis and Jane. His father was a farm labourer, and by the age of 22 Harry was also working as a labourer.  He married Hannah Creek at St. Barnabas’ Church on 3 June 1895, and the couple had two children: Charles Thomas (1896-1986) and Mabel Jane (1899-1981). Harry worked as a delivery driver for a timber company and the family lived at 10 Thoday Street (1901) and then at 64 Thoday Street (at least 1911 onwards).  He died aged 51 years old, and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 19 December.  A service was held at Sturton Street Primative Methodist Church prior to internment and a ‘large number of friends were at the graveside to pay a last tribute of respect’.

Hannah Esther Negus (née Creek) (22 June 1868 – 11 June 1951)

Hannah was born in Comberton and was the daughter of James and Charlotte Creek.  She was baptised in Comberton on 6 July 1873 and grew up in the village were her father was a horse dealer.  By the age of 12, she had gone into service and was living in Great Eversden where she was a general servant to farmer Francis Nixon and his wife Louisa.  In 1891 she was living at 13 Sidney Street, where she was a servant to Walter and Mary Pain, before marrying aged 26 years old.  She continued to live at 64 Thoday Street until at least 1939, but was living at 39 Grenville Road with her daughter Mabel when she died in 1951.

Sources:

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Hannah Esther Negus; Harry William Negus