CFHS code : MG186
Parish : St Mary the Great
Inscription : In Loving Memory of JOSEPH JOHN NEWMAN b 30 Apr 1849 d 6 Jan 1915 also his wife HARRIET d 9 March 1943 aged 96
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202071, 0.13830895 – click here for location
Joseph John Newman (30 April 1849 – 6 February 1915)
Joseph born in Walthamstow and was the son of Charles and Marianne. His father was a publican/hotelier and he grew up at the Eagle Tavern (1851) and the Railway Hotel, Poplar Road (later Station Road) (1861/1871). He married Harriet Barton on 26 June 1873 at St. Thomas’ Church in London and they had three children: Alice Maud Mary (1873-1940), Beatrice Harriet (1877-1956) and another child (thought to have been called John/Jack).
Joseph intially worked as a brewer and lived at the Railway Inn. In October 1873 he opened an eating house with business partner J. Pilson at 16 Market Passage, which was advertised as a ‘family restaurant and dining rooms…a good eating house. Public and private breakfasts, dinners and suppers supplied either on or off the premises. Wines of choicest vintage, chops, steaks and soups always ready’. By at least 1879 he had opened ‘Newman’s Billiard Rooms’ at the Black Swan on Guildhall Street. By October 1891 it had been renamed ‘Newman’s University Billiard Rooms’ and been refurbished with eight new tables ‘by Messrs. Burroughs and Watts, fitted with their patent gold medal steel block ‘eureka’ extra low cushions, all tables being exactly uniform in play, a world wide success’ and was open for the new University term.
Joseph was an excellent billiard player in his own right and in November 1899 played a match against C. Dawson. The Cambridge Daily News billed it as ‘a good oportunity of witnessing a masterly exposition of the fascinating game…play opened at three o’clock..and it was not long before Dawson gave the muster of Varsity and townsmen a taste of his quality’. Joseph was said to have not had the best of luck and ‘lost the white repeatedly’. The match ran over several days with Dawson eventually being declared the winner by the smallest of margins.
In 1881 the family were living at 25 Hills Road and later lived at 7 Guildhall Street (1901) and 21 Bateman Street (1911) before moving to live at 53 Owlstone Road.
Joseph died unexpectedly whist visiting his daughter in Biggleswade and the funeral took place on 9 January. The Cambridge Independent Press wrote a short obituary which said he ‘was an exceedingly well known Cambridge resident…Mr Newman retired from business some years ago. A native of Cambridge, he was formerly a valued member of the Cambs. County Cricket eleven and he was also well known as a brilliant billards player. For the greater part of his life he was a parishioner of the parish of Great St. Mary’s and up to the time of his death he took a helpful interest in all matters connected with the church where his loss is greatly felt. At Great St. Mary’s he had held the office of churchwarden and for many years he served as a sidesman there’.
Harriet Newman (née Barton) (19 October 1846 – 9 March 1943)
Harriet was born in Linton and was the daughter of Charles and Elizabeth. Her father was a publican in Linton and by 1871 Harriet was working as a barmaid at the Railway Hotel where she met her future husband. After she was widowed she went to live at 2 Newnham Terrace (1930) and then at 248 Hills Road (1939) with daughter Alice.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]