CFHS code : AS244
Parish : All Saints
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY BURGESS the wife of JAMES OWEN d Jan 30 1889 aged 45 also of JAMES OWEN d Dec 30 1937 in his 94th year
Monument : Stone cross/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
In Loving Memory of
The wife of JAMES OWEN
Who died Jan 30th 1889 aged 45 years
Also of JAMES OWEN
died Dec 30 1937 in his 94th year
Mary Burgess Owen (née Sargent) (1844 – 30 January 1889)
Mary was the daughter of shoemaker Thomas Sargent and his wife Charlotte (née Speed). She was baptised on 5 May 1844 at St. Mary the Great Church and married James Owen on 22 November 1868 at St. John the Baptist in Shoreditch. James was a coal merchant and they lived at 40 Hills Road (1871) and then at 27 Sidney Street (1881). Mary and James had one son: Edward Freeman (1870-1934) and she died at Sidney Street after ‘a few days’ illness’.
James Owen (c.1843 – 30 December 1937)
James was the son of John and Lydia Owen and was born in St. Ives, twelve miles north west of Cambridge. His father was a waterman and publican and James grew up at the Hare and Garter pub, Back Street in St. Ives. Aged 16 he was working as a grocer’s assistant although he later worked as a coal merchant.
In February 1900 Alfred Unwin, one of James’ delivery drivers was brought to court accused of delivering coal to Elliott Tofts which was underweight and therefore having ‘skimmed’ the sacks prior to delivery. James Owen’s foreman Mr Isaac Brown testified that he had responsibility for sending out the correct weight of coal from the ‘yard’. Alfred was found guilty and fined £2 and costs.
James continued to live at Sidney Street with son Edward and two domestic servants (1901) and died at at home aged 93 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any further information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]