CFHS code : HT286
Parish : Holy Trinity
Inscription : side 1 In Loving Memory of MARY ANN wife of W T PALMER d Aug 5 1877 aged 43 also of the above named WILLIAM THOS PALMER d May 3 1900 aged 72 also of EMMA ELIZABETH d Jan 13 1863 aged 8 also ALFRED HENRY d Aug 23 1878 aged 13 months dearly loved children of the above side 2 In Loving Memory of GEORGE FREDERICK PALMER d April 30th 1901 aged 25 also of FLORENCE EMILY PALMER d February 18th 1915 aged 51 also of LOUISA KIPPING PALMER dearly loved wife of W T PALMER d March 7th 1922 aged 79
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Mary Ann Palmer (née Shuker) (7 July 1834 – 5 August 1877)
Mary was the only child of John Harvey Shuker (1810-1836) and Mary Ann (née Boning) (1812 -1890). She was baptised at Holy Sepulchre Church on 27 July 1834. Her father was a baker, who had a shop on Bridge Street, but he died in March 1836 aged 25 years old. Her mother married for a second time in 1839 to watchmaker John Dumville (1801-1881), who also had a shop on Bridge Street where Mary Ann grew up.
She married William Palmer on 13 September 1853 at Holy Trinity Church and lived at 53 & 54 Sidney Street where William ran a shoemaking business. The couple had at least nine children (four of whom are buried in this grave): Emma Elizabeth, Louisa Maria (1857-1907), Florence Emily, William (1866-), Alice Maud (1867-1956), Ernest Edward (1869-), Charles (1874-), George Frederick (1875-1901) and Alfred Henry. Mary died at Sidney Street a short time after giving birth to her youngest child, so her death might have been a result of birthing complications.
William Thomas Palmer (1 August 1827 – 3 May 1900)
William was born in Wisbech and by 1851 was working as a shoe clicker for shoemaker Frederick Hayles at 2 Peas Hill. He later ran his own shoemaking business at Sidney Street – newspaper adverts from the 1870’s described the business as ‘the only boot and shoe manufacturer in Cambridge’. In May 1865 Edmund Smee was charged ‘with embezzling certain sums of money, to the amound of £2 and upwards, received by him for an on account of Mr. W.T. Palmer, his master’. Edmund was bailed on payment of £50 and two sureties of £25 each.
On 14 January 1880 William married widow Louisa Featherstone at St. Stephen’s Church, Islington on 14 January 1880 . Louisa had two daughters from her first marriage and the couple had one child together: Winifred Mabel (1882-1952). He retired from business in 1888 and went to live at Granville House, Station Road. He was then documented as a ‘gentleman’ and owned several houses which he offered for rent. William was a town commissioner for many years and was also a governor at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
In 1898 he was ‘stricken with paralysis and it was then feared death was imminent. Unremitting care and attention however prolonged his life, though from that period Mr. Palmer only left his room once. He bore his illness in an uncomplaining manner characteristic of his nature, and his end, which came at 12.25 …was attended with peace’. The Cambridge Daily News wrote ‘Mr Palmer will be remembered by the older generation of Cambridge as one of the most esteemed and revered of local tradesmen’. The funeral took place on 5 May at St. Paul’s Church. The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal printed ‘both at ..(the) church and the graveside there was a considerable gathering of townspeople, showing that the memory of the deceased was held in great respect’. It was also reported that ‘the grave in Mill Road Cemetery was lined with moss and ivy’ and that ‘no wreaths were sent by the family at the special request of the deceased’.
Emma Elizabeth Palmer (1855 – 13 January 1863)
Emma was the eldest child of William and Mary Palmer and died at Sidney Street. Her funeral took place on 16 January 1863.
Alfred Henry Palmer (c.July 1877 – 23 August 1878)
Alfred died at Sidney Street and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 26 August 1878.
George Frederick Palmer (c.1875 – 30 April 1901)
George was born in Cambridge and attended Cowper House School, High Street Huntingdon. He worked as a hosier’s assistant and died at the North Devon Infirmary, Barnstable of ‘apendicitis and peritonitis’. His body was brought back to Cambridge and he was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 4 May 1901.
Florence Emily Palmer (1863 – 18 February 1915)
Flroence was the third daughter of William and Mary Ann. She lived at Granville House (1891) and after the death of her father went to live with her uncle Benjamin Gott in East Dereham, Norfolk (1901). Florence then ran a boarding house at 272 London Road, Lowestoft where she died aged 51 years old. She was buried in Cambridge on 22 February 1915.
Louisa Kipping Palmer (née Cox) (7 February 1842 – 6 March 1922)
Louisa was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Newington on 13 March 1842, but grew up in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. She was the eldest daughter of William and Louisa (née Kipping) and her father was a maker of tunbridge ware. She married widower Henry Featherstone (1818-1877) on 24 February 1872 at St. Nicholas’ Church, Brighton. Henry was a baker and the couple had two daughters: Amy Nellie (1873-1961) and May Louisa (1877-1969).
After she was widowed for a second time she remained living at Station Road until at least 1901 and then moved live at 5 Elms Road, Clapham (1911). She died in Balham and was buried in Cambridge on 10 March.
Parish burial records transcribed by CFHS
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]