CFHS code : PL142
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : LM MARY wife of FREDERICK PARKER b 14 March 1833 married 1 Jan 1856 d 21 Feb 1885 also FREDERICK PARKER husband of the above b July 12th 1826 d Nov 2nd 1902
Monument : Headstone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Mary Parker (née Beales) (14 March 1833 – 21 February 1885)
Mary was the daughter of tailor Barnet Beales and his wife Elizabeth (Eliza) (née Whybro). She grew on Sidney Street and married Frederick Parker on 1 January 1856 at All Saints’ Church, Cambridge. They lived at 75 & 76 Regent Street where Fredrick was a carriage builder – in 1861 his business was employing 19 people in addition to himself. The business had moved to the premises in 1860 and Frederick advertised extensively in local newspapers. A typical advert from April 1860 read: ‘Frederick Parker, carriage builder and harness maker, Cambridge respectfully apprises his Friends and the Public that his new Show Rooms, erected at no. 76 Regent Street are now open and furnished with a choice stock of new carriages and harness of the latest style of fashion, comprising Broughams, Barouches, Family Omnibuses, Waggonettes, Headed and Open Cars, Sociables, Dog Carts, Chaises and a variety of Pony Carriages built for the coming season and invites inspection of the same’.
Mary and Frederick had at least eight children: Alice Mary (1856-), Louisa Ellen (1860-1952), Fanny Rosa (1862-1907), Clara Beales (1863-1950), Bessie Kate (1866-1869), William Frederick (1867-1942), Frank (1869-1950) and Mary Florence (1871-). By 1870 Frederick was running a Music Hall on Sideny Street called ‘The Cambridge Music Hall’. The 1870 Christmas Concert was a variety show including ‘a comic ballet, trapeze performance, comic sketches, duets and songs, a shadow entertainment.’. 1st class seats were 1s each, 2nd class 6d and 3rd class 4d. In 1871 the family were living at 74 Regent Street and Frederick was noted as a music hall owner, tavern owner and lodging house keeper. He was running a ‘tavern’ called the Lynn Ale Stores from 76 Regent Street, and in 1874 applied to move it to Devonshire Road.
By 1875 he was describing himself as a carriage builder, house agent and broker. In 1881 the family were living at St. Andrew’s Street and by then Frederick was describing himself as a furniture dealer. Mary died aged 51 years old at 6 Tenison Road.
Frederick Parker (1826-1902)
Frederick was the son of William and Ann Parker and grew up at Regent Terrace where his father was a coach maker. Aged 24 (1851) he was living with his sister Caroline at 15 Regent Street and was also working as a coach maker. He married Mary when he as 29 years old and after being widowed went to live in Brighton. In 1901 he was living with daughters Fanny and Mary, a cook and a ‘trained sick nurse’. He died the following November at 10 Portland Place, Brighton aged 76 years old.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]