CFHS code : ED29
Parish : St Edward
Inscription : [MA]RY ANN PARSON line illegible d Jan -7 [18–] — 67
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.20313, 0.13743779 – click here for location
This pointed headstone, with carving of oak leaves, the headstone broken in half and fallen, in the parish area of St Edward, is located west of the central path as it travels north from the centre circle, five rows back from the path, close to the other Parson family grave.
‛[Ma]ry Ann Parson
died Jan 7 [1892 aged] 67’
Mary Ann Parson (née Gillett) (1825‒1892)
Mary Ann Gillett was born in Burnt Fen, Littleport, Cambridgeshire in 1825, and was christened on 27 July of that year, the daughter of Christopher Gillett, farmer, and his wife Ann. She married James Greaves Parson, boatwright of Ely, on 2 January 1844 at Ely Holy Trinity, and lived in “Babylon”, Ely. The couple had a son, Henry James, born on 2 May 1849. In the 1851 census this family of three had James’s sister Mary Ann Gleaves, born 25 March 1821, living with them, her two children, James Parson Gleaves, born 1847, and George Gleaves, born 1850, both of whom died in infancy, cousin Eliza Greaves, born 1830, and one servant, Elizabeth Rollason, a household of eight and still living in “Babylon”, Ely.
By 1881, her husband having died, Mary Ann was living on her own at Water Side, Ely (beside the River Ouse, close to the boat basin where James must have worked), aged 55. By 1891 she had moved to Cambridge and was living with her son and family at 5 Peas Hill, where Henry had his chemist shop. She was still living there at the time of her death on 7 January 1892, aged 67. She was buried in the parish area of St Edward in Mill Road Cemetery on 11 January in grave No. 8 of row XXIX, at a depth of 8 feet.
Beside her grave (XXIX/7) is that of her younger brother Crabb Gillett.
Census reports England 1841, 1851, 1871, 1881, 1891
Free Births, Marriages, Deaths
St Edward’s Church, Cambridge, Burial and Grave Registers
Spalding’s Street Directories of Cambridge
By Hugh Parson (grandson of Henry Hugh Parson) and Ian Bent