CFHS code : PL106
Parish : St Paul
Inscription : In Memory of WILLIAM PATMAN d 17 Jan 1865 aged 74 and of FRANCES his wife d 15 Jan 1843 aged 51 also of their infant children HENRY d Jan 24 and JOHN d Feb 10 1826 and of SAMUEL their third son d 25 Sept 1871 aged 44
Monument : Headstone
Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This headstone is one of a pair that stand south of the path close to the lodge.
In Memory of WILLIAM PATMAN who died Jan -17 1865 aged 74 years
And of FRANCES his wife who died Jan-15 1843 aged 51 years
Also of their infant children
HENRY who died Jan – 24 and JOHN who died Feb -10 1826
And of SAMUEL their third son who died Sept – 25 1871 aged 44 years
As they died before this cemetery was consecrated the twins & Frances would have been buried in the churchyard surrounding St Andrew the Great church.
William Patman (c.1790 – 17 January 1865)
William was born in Downham Market in Norfolk and married Frances Mason at St Andrew’s Church on 11 November 1821. William ran the Wresters’ Inn on Petty Cury for many years and the couple had at least seven children: Mary (1824-1880), John (1825-1826), Henry (1825-1826), Samuel (1827-1871), Sarah (1828-1850), Frances Ann (1832-1853) and Martha (1834-1854).
After he was widowed he moved to live at Annesley Place and on the 1851 census was described as a proprietor of land and houses. By 1861 he had moved to live at 44 Panton Street, and was living there with his niece Lucy and described himself as a ‘retired brewer and victualler’. He died at Panton Street aged 74 years.
Frances Patman (née Mason) (c.1793 – 14 January 1843)
Frances was born in Cambridge and is believed to have been the daughter of Henry and Mary Mason. She died at the Wrestlers’ Inn aged 49 years old.
Henry Patman (c.1825 – 24 January 1826)
Henry was baptised at St Andrew the Great Church on 6 March 1825 with his twin John. He died at the age of one.
John Patman (c.1825 – 10 February 1826)
John died two weeks after his twin Henry.
Samuel Patman (c.1827 – 25 September 1871)
Samuel was baptised at St Andrew the Great Church on 10 February 1827. By 1851 he was living with his father and sisters at Annesley Place and was described as being a builder. He then moved to London and in 1861 was living at Albert House in Islington, where he was working as a joiner. He returned to live at Camden House on Histon Road and worked as an architect. He died aged 44 years at the Vicarage in Ickleton, which was the home of his sister Mary and her husband Rev. John Amps.
by Claire Martinsen
[If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]